Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Do away with the MASK!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Consultant wrote:

I will not be wearing a mask.  You are powerless to change that or to even make me uncomfortable about it.   

You'll just not be allowed to fly - your choice.

Then what?

There are lots of stories about people being removed from planes for refusing t o wear masks. Delta has proudly banned  over 500 people from the airline for refusing to wear masks

You could be next

Consultant
Explorer A

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

It's a federal law.

Maybe you should refuse to pay your income taxes as a sign of protest.

Maybe you should contact your elected officials to tell them that the policy should be rescinded.

Consultant
Explorer A

It is NOT a federal law.  It is a regulation based in an Executive Order that can and should be overturned easily by federal courts.  Maybe you should know your facts instead of suggesting that others break the law.  

Further, there are exemptions to the regulation.  You do not have to wear a mask if you have a doctors note and a negative COVID test.  There's just a small problem with that... Most people who have been vaccinated test positive for COVID making the test increasingly useless. 

For reference:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/airlines-will-now-allow-passengers-to-fly-without-masks-after-...

Mauibound
Explorer C

As a former FA I respect and understand the absolute necessity of a safe cabin, and not much we can do about arguing against a federal law once on board, but the militant attitude of flight crews and harassment of passengers when a mask innocently slips below the nose, or a mask is taken off for a few seconds to speak to a family member seated  RIGHT next to you is absolutely ridiculous. 
I just completed 8 legs back and forth from MSY-OGG and the lack of situational understanding and common sense baffled me. My 18 yr old son was verbally assaulted and threatened with a “consequence” by two FAs because his mask slipped below his nostrils twice while watching a movie. He didn’t even realize it happened until they approached him. Then they told me to do something about it. I was so beside myself w shock and anger i couldn’t even respond.

But we can remove masks while eating and drinking snacks that SWA chooses to serve. 
WHAT’s THE DIFFERENCE?!?  Moronic. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mauibound wrote:

WHAT’s THE DIFFERENCE?!?  Moronic. 

You may not like it, but the difference is that one is allowed by the federal guidelines and one is not. The feds expect the airlines to enforce the guidelines.

Consultant
Explorer A

It is not a federal law with the full force of the legislature.  It is an executive order.  Funny how Trump haters were almost rabid to make that distinction under the last administration but willing to call any edict from the white house resident a law now. 

Political busybody notions aside, The practical issues are obvious.  

Masks do NOT help.  Read the warnings on the side of the box.  Are you going to believe a conflicted bureaucrat that contradicts his own published works and statements or the people who actually manufacture the masks?  Now Fauci wants people to wear two masks?  That is sadistic and dangerous to your health.  

Masks restrict Oxygen.  Oxygen depravation may cause death, brain damage, blindness and cancer.  Put on a pulse oximeter from your local pharmacy or amazon for $30 and see what wearing a mask does to you.  If your oxygen drops below 92% for an extended period of time, see your doctor and get an exemption.  Get a covid test before you fly as it will be required.  These exemptions ARE part of the CDC guidelines and the current executive order.

Masks do nothing to restrict virus intake through the unfiltered wet surface of the eyes. 

No one wears their mask properly and they touch it every time they eat, drink, or sneak a breath of fresh air increasing their exposure through their own hands far more than the mask will ever help.  

The airlines need to lobby the white house or sue in federal court.  It is their job to serve their customers.  It is not their job to be a nasty enforcement arm of the unconstitutional actions of the federal government.  Neither Trump or Biden had the constitutional right to restrict the movements and actions of law abiding citizens.  This is the first time it has ever been done in U.S. history.  The courts move slowly and are only now starting to knock down these unconstitutional mandates.  

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/02/05/supreme-court-lifts-california-worship-b...

Consultant
Explorer A

dfwskier
Aviator A

The federal regulation carries the force of law.  Failure to comply could lead to fines (some significant if you do it several times) . You also run the risk of both the airline and TSA putting you on their no fly lists.

All airlines now allows exceptions to the rule because TSA said they could as long as they

publish the rules. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Consultant wrote:

Southwest now allows mask exemptions -- 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Do-I-need-to-wear-a-mask-during-travel/ta-p/107173

In a earlier post, you said people would be able to fly if they simply provide a doctors note. It's much more complicated than that. I'd suggest that you click on

the link you provided and read.