Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do you need to re-clear security on separate one-way (connecting) tickets?

lphil
Explorer C

Does TSA or Southwest require you to clear security on each separate ticket?  I booked two separate one-way flights connecting is Las Vegas and there's about eight hours in between. Can I just print out the tickets for my second flight 24 hours in advance and then just stay airside (secured side) for the entire time or will my ticket be invalid if its not scanned by TSA? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Do you need to re-clear security on separate one-way (connecting) tickets?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

What you suggest is fine.

As long as you do not exit the secure area of the airport, you do not need to clear TSA security again.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

8 hours in LAS???  Sounds horrible.  I'd strongly recommend leaving the airport even if it does mean you need to clear security again.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

8 hours in LAS???  Sounds horrible.  I'd strongly recommend leaving the airport even if it does mean you need to clear security again.

--TheMiddleSeat

Ha! I can think of *much* worse airports to be stuck in for 8 hours lol! The Vegas airport has slots and a ton of restaurant options. You won't be bored, OP 😉 

But to answer your question - I had this exact question too and the answer is no, you do not have to leave the terminal and go through TSA at your connecting airport if you have booked separate one way tickets. You can just stay where you are, which is what I recommend. I was in a similar situation where I booked separate one ways from TUL - DEN and DEN - PHL. My layover was also about 8 hours, but to make many long stories short when I landed in DEN I was able to switch my flight to go through Orlando then Philly so I could get home a little earlier. 

I didn't have a bag or anything checked, though. If you are checking a bag, then you probably need to go to baggage claim and get your bag, and then you would have to go through TSA again. (You might be able to check your bag to your final destination if you go to a full service counter and ask them to do so.) 

In researching all of this, I found out that TSA really doesn't do much with your actual plane ticket. In fact, when I flew during COVID last year and even this year sometimes they didn't even scan it (and I'm not sure what they are scanning for, anyway - I think they just confirm that you are meant to be flying that day instead of like, tomorrow); they always scan your ID, though. I think they care more about your ID and that you are who you say you are. 

--Jessica