Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Documents needed for Infant (4 Months)

Zbowers24
Explorer C

Hello,

I am trying to book a reservation, I am flying with my 4 month old infant and due to COVID 19 he doesn’t have a birth certificate yet, city hall is closed and are only doing mail in applications for birth certificates. According to the TSA traveling website it says that I can use his immunization records for proof of age? Is this true with SOUTHWEST airlines? I have his immunization records, Medical card, and SSN.

please help I need to book my flight 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Documents needed for Infant (4 Months)

dfwskier
Aviator A

He does not need proof of age for travel within the US. TSA does not require proof of age for anyone less than age 18.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Zbowers24 wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to book a reservation, I am flying with my 4 month old infant and due to COVID 19 he doesn’t have a birth certificate yet, city hall is closed and are only doing mail in applications for birth certificates. According to the TSA traveling website it says that I can use his immunization records for proof of age? Is this true with SOUTHWEST airlines? I have his immunization records, Medical card, and SSN.

Southwest requires a birth certificate for any child under age 2 if they're flying as a "lap child" (you're not purchasing them a seat).

(When they're obviously well under age 2 you may not have to show anything. If you do, the immunization records may suffice.)

Lots of info here: Baby on Board

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Zbowers24 wrote:

Hello,

Southwest requires a birth certificate for any child under age 2 if they're flying as a "lap child" (you're not purchasing them a seat).

(When they're obviously well under age 2 you may not have to show anything. If you do, the immunization records may suffice.)

Lots of info here: Baby on Board

We have used immunization records before to justify a lap child. 

Anyway - you can book the flight now, you only need the records when you show up to fly.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.