Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Donate Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A

@nwicha wrote:

thank you, but i called SWA and they told me that these vouchers cannot be extended because I extended them once already back in november... I was planning on using them in march...bad timing.  I hate to see them go to waste.

I missed the key word voucher sorry about that. I would just book a flight with the voucher then cancel as @chgoflyer suggested. 

ppetersonSW
Explorer C

That message is awsome, however, it is limited to before June 2020.  I made a reservation Aug 2020, for travel SIX months later!!! surely Covid would be over!!!  I canceled my Dec 2020 trip, and now my Travel Funds expire in AUG!!  I am still not ready to travel.  I am 66 yrs old.  We are so close to getting everyone vaccinated!!  I have called.  They say transferring my travel funds to points expired last December.  They did not tell me that when I canceled the trip.  I AM a RR member!!  They REALLY need to extend this generous offer (Dec 2022) to everyone effected.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@nwicha wrote:

Hi.

I have travel vouchers that will expire April 28th.  I cannot use them and they cannot be extended.  Can I donate them to an organization that can through Southwest?

Nicole

I do not believe so. You can try to give the voucher to a charity (or someone you know) directly, but it's less likely right now that anyone will need it before it expires.

In case you're not aware though, you can use those vouchers to purchase a flight (any flight) and then cancel that flight, and you'll have travel funds, which will automatically be extended through Sept. 7, 2022.

Those funds will be usable only by the person who's name is on the flight you book, but at some point you'll be able to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points, usable to book for anyone.

Hope this helps!

nwicha
Explorer C

Thanks!  I will try what you suggested.

nwicha
Explorer C

update.  on the phone with southwest.  they say that the expiration date on the voucher will follow the confirmation for a flight reservation, so a cancellation credit would still expire April 28.  thanks for your help.  I will see if I can give this to a local organization.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@nwicha wrote:

update.  on the phone with southwest.  they say that the expiration date on the voucher will follow the confirmation for a flight reservation, so a cancellation credit would still expire April 28.  thanks for your help.  I will see if I can give this to a local organization.

So, that's correct. But right now all travel funds created before Sept. 7, 2020 will automatically be extended through Sept. 7, 2022. 😉

ppetersonSW
Explorer C

Wish they would extend ALL travel funds...created before Dec 2020 specifically for me.... to extend to Dec 2022.