Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Dust off those Wedding Dresses

bbland
Adventurer C

Southwest won't let you buy an extra seat if you want to feel safe now that they are selling middle seats, but for these reasons you can buy an extra seat.

to accommodate a person's size; for sensitive equipment such as a musical instrument, electronic audio/video equipment, or medical equipment; for a wedding dress; to accommodate a disability; or for floor space needed to accommodate a large service animal

Guess I'll be traveling with my wedding dress a lot now.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Dust off those Wedding Dresses

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not sure why you needed to start a new thread when you already posted the same message in another thread. 

Yes, Southwest is now selling all seats. If you don't like that you may want to fly another airline. People with flights already booked should have received an email informing them of the change and they may be able to get a refund. Lastly, I do not think a wedding dress enables you to buy an additional seat. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bbland
Adventurer C

Actually, per the email I got from southwest, a musical instrument or a wedding dress are among the items that allow you to purchase another seat. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Interesting, never knew. Keep in mind you can always purchase an extra seat, the bigger question is if you can "hold it" with the dress or if it'll get put in the luggage bins. Now I'm curious.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

Interesting, never knew. Keep in mind you can always purchase an extra seat, the bigger question is if you can "hold it" with the dress or if it'll get put in the luggage bins. Now I'm curious.

Hmmm....third ceremony this month Mr. Smith, going with the white lace again? 😂

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

If I eat many more wedding cakes I could qualify for customer of size exemption. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@ZevSupport wrote:

If I eat many more wedding cakes I could qualify for customer of size exemption. 

🤣

IMO, purchasing an extra seat for anything other than being a Customer of Size is not really necessary, only because Southwest does not assign seats but boarding positions. There’s really no way of blocking off an extra seat for yourself just because you buy an extra ticket. 

There are plenty of other threads of people trying to ‘save’ seats ... it doesn’t always work well but you could try it and see if you’ll get lucky and no one will end up next to you. 

Considering that overall flight capacity is still down by a lot, I don’t think this will be too much of a problem in the immediate future. 

—Jessica 

bbland
Adventurer C

Unfortunately, our normal destination is MCO and even now the planes are full to the reduced capacity, so I'm sure they will be booked for the Holidays.  I have an email directly from Gary Kelly that says saving seats & bin space is OK and anytime someone has questioned me, flight attendants included, I pull out the letter.  My husband & I have never had an issue with me saving him a seat.  If I purchase a seat for my 'Wedding Dress', I will place it in a seat with its boarding pass and then save another seat for my husband.  

I just don't understand why I have to go to such lengths.  If I want to buy an entire plane full of seats, they should sell it to me.

FrankisTurni
Explorer C

I remember securing that extra seat for mine, too – I had a mini celebration with the flight attendants.

FrankisTurni
Explorer C

Traveling with a wedding dress is a whole new level of adventure, right? I also had to travel with my dress and men's wedding suits once. I remember securing that extra seat for these, too – I had a mini celebration with the flight attendants. Safe travels on your dress escapades!