Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

ENFORCING THE MASK WEARING POLICY

Aenne1952
Explorer C

Southwest recently booted a family off of a plane because their toddler wouldn't keep his mask on. I flew on Southwest some years ago when it was mandatory that passengers had to turn off ALL electronic devices during the ascent and descent, because there was concern then that they could interfere with the planes electronic equipment. Passengers were told to turn their devices off, yet a man across the aisle from me continued to use his cell phone, laptop, and an iPod simultaneously. He had an aisle seat, was clearly visible, yet not one staff person said anything to him. I motioned to a stewardess, she came over, I quietly pointed him out, and she looked at me blankly – and walked away. I finally leaned over, asked the man to please comply with the directive, told him he was making me nervous, and he complied, albeit grudgingly. I do support mask wearing during the pandemic, but give me a break, Southwest. No mask = “End of the world!”, but the use of electronic devices that could (as was believed at the time) cause the plane to crash = “Whatever”?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: ENFORCING THE MASK WEARING POLICY

jksobonya
Aviator A

It's funny what some people try to "get away with" during a flight. I think all airlines - not just Southwest - have dealt with unruly customers over the mask policy over the past year, and I'm not sure it's fair to compare mask wearing with any other policy that customers may try to get around. Rules are in place for a reason, and the primary reason is passenger safety. 

--Jessica

Mauibound
Explorer C

As a former FA I respect and understand the absolute necessity of a safe cabin, and not much we can do about arguing against a federal law once on board, but the militant attitude of flight crews and harassment of passengers when a mask innocently slips below the nose, or a mask is taken off for a few seconds to speak to a family member seated  RIGHT next to you is absolutely ridiculous. 
I just completed 8 legs back and forth from MSY-OGG and the lack of situational understanding and common sense baffled me. My 18 yr old son was verbally assaulted and threatened with a “consequence” by two FAs because his mask slipped below his nostrils twice while watching a movie. He didn’t even realize it happened until they approached him. Then they told me to do something about it. I was so beside myself w shock and anger i couldn’t even respond.

But we can remove masks while eating and drinking snacks that SWA chooses to serve. 
WHAT’s THE DIFFERENCE?!?  Moronic. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Mauibound Why are you lowering your mask to talk to someone? That's one of the times when it's actually more important to be wearing a mask.

I don't think suggesting Southwest not enforce federal regulation is going to be seen as a good idea.

--TheMiddleSeat

Mauibound
Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat i see that you are a major contributor on this forum. You seem to have a response to everyone’s questions, comments, and observations regarding all topics. Must be nice to be such an expert. You clearly did not read my post correctly. I never suggested SWA not follow federal guidelines. In fact, I said just the opposite. If you look again I said one can’t dispute federal guidelines. Also, I said I lowered my mask for a few seconds to speak to my family member sitting right next to me, my son, not just some random passenger. The point of my post was the inconsistency of mask off when eating or drinking which would be longer than a few seconds verses lowering it to answer a question asked by my FAMILY MEMBER. The other point I was trying to make was the rudeness, abrasiveness and basic harassment by flight attendants who can’t seem to use common sense and situational understanding w regards to masks, and have lost all sight of graciousness and hospitality to paying customers. 
It is all moronic as are you for not reading more carefully before offering your all too frequent opinion. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As a former flight attendant you'd have no problem if I took my seat belt off while taxiing? You of course have no idea how long I plan to have it off so you could choose to ignore federal regulations and just let me do whatever I want? 

Again, no reason to lower your mask to speak, it shows you don't have any understanding of the reason behind wearing masks and no concern for others around you AND also demonstrates you are willing to dispute federal regulations. And yes, I read your complaint and when someone is rude and abrasive when describing someone else I question their judgment about someone being rude and abrasive.

If you would like to file a comment directly with Southwest regarding your experience with the crew you can do so here, Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

Mauibound
Explorer C

I don’t need to be educated on the reasons behind wearing the masks. I had no issues with wearing my mask. You’re totally missing the point. How is it any different than taking my mask off to eat and drink, which I and most everyone else did do? I’m speaking about the inconsistency and lack of an appropriate situational response.  Also, you’re comparing apples and oranges with regards to seatbelts and masks, and im sure there are people who disregard seatbelt signs all the time that go may go unnoticed by a flight attendant, and yes I would take issue with it and address it as a FA. Those people put a their safety  at risk by their own choosing. Lowering my mask for a few seconds to speak to a family member next to me, OR lowering  it for much longer to eat and drink snacks PROVIDED BY SWA (which means they know you’ll have you’re mask off at some

point and they’re ok w it) is in no way the same thing as not wearing a seatbelt. 
This is a forum to discuss experiences with SWA. So, just because I’ve brought up an experience with what I believe to be less than professional FAs on several of my 8 flights you assume that I am the same?  You assume I’m rude and abrasive because that’s how I choose to describe the crew members i encountered? I also encountered the best crew out of Maui. They were pleasant, gracious and were firm with regards to safety issues but never lost sight of their professionalism and their spirit of hospitality. Now, you can associate me with those adjectives, as well.
 I feel i can speak intelligently  about the service I received from these particular crew members because I am a former Delta flight attendant with over 10 years experience, and I know there is always a tactful way to approach most situations. Obviously, threatening situations require a different response but i would hardly think my son’s mask falling below his nose would fall in this category.  
I also don’t need to be directed to customer service. I’m smart enough to know where and how to lodge my formal complaints and my compliments. I posted here to see if other customers had similar experiences. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Mauibound wrote:

I also don’t need to be directed to customer service. I’m smart enough to know where and how to lodge my formal complaints and my compliments. I posted here to see if other customers had similar experiences. 

And then what? Seems like it would be more productive to go directly to Southwest with your abrasive opinion.

--TheMiddleSeat

PS, read #4:

https://uihc.org/health-topics/five-common-mistakes-made-when-wearing-face-mask

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Mauibound 

My thought on this is when you went to talk to your son and pull your mask down, pop a snack in your mouth or take a drink, case closed, half this discussion is eliminated.  Food for thought.   

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mauibound wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat  Also, I said I lowered my mask for a few seconds to speak to my family member sitting right next to me, my son, not just some random passenger. The point of my post was the inconsistency of mask off when eating or drinking which would be longer than a few seconds verses lowering it to answer a question asked by my FAMILY MEMBER.  

That last I looked, the federal giddiness allow  passengers to be unmasked while eating and drinking - but for no other reason - including talking with a family member.