Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: ENFORCING THE MASK WEARING POLICY

Consultant
Explorer A

Southwest is caught between the foolishness of the federal government and the growing frustration of their customers.  Simply paying attention to the warnings on the mask packages should end the debate for most rational people.  The warnings are some variant of the following:

WARNING:  This product is an ear loop mask.  This product is not a respirator and will not provide any protection against COVID-19 (Corona Virus) or other viruses or contaminants.

The face mask will not survive the test of time.  Southwest must consider carefully how they will survive the perception of hostile, overzealous flight attendants.

gsking
Aviator C

@Consultant wrote:

Southwest is caught between the foolishness of the federal government and the growing frustration of their customers.  Simply paying attention to the warnings on the mask packages should end the debate for most rational people.  The warnings are some variant of the following:

WARNING:  This product is an ear loop mask.  This product is not a respirator and will not provide any protection against COVID-19 (Corona Virus) or other viruses 

I know you're just here to argue, and I hate to feed the troll, but at the risk of sounding pedantic...

The mask isn't to protect YOU.   It's to protect other people.   Most rational people can understand that,  and have had it explained many many many times. 

So we can conclude you're not being rational. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

@Consultant wrote:

WARNING:  This product is an ear loop mask.  This product is not a respirator and will not provide any protection against COVID-19 (Corona Virus) or other viruses 

I know you're just here to argue, and I hate to feed the troll, but at the risk of sounding pedantic...

The mask isn't to protect YOU.   It's to protect other people.   Most rational people can understand that,  and have had it explained many many many times. 

So we can conclude you're not being rational. 

And get an N95 to protect yourself if you want to, plenty of people have done this successfully. You don't have to wear a cloth mask if you don't value protecting others but are worried about yourself - feel free to get a nicer mask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Consultant  The tired nonsense from the anti-mask "crowd" is getting very old. Don't want to wear a mask? Looks like you're driving, not flying. Have a nice day.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Can we all agree that the rules created by the FAA are mostly inconsistent,  capricious,  arbitrary, ephemeral,  and illogical?   I'm sure we can.     Now imagine having to enforce those rules with recalcitrant passengers all day long. 

Like most rules,  they try to set a "lowest common denominator" to balance protection and inconvenience.   I'm sure most of us would agree 55mph is too slow.   But then most of us would agree most OTHER drivers can't drive safely at 75mph like we can. 

Have some sympathy for the FAs having to deal with this crap.  Maybe sneak your mask off for a few extra seconds to catch some fresh air.   But don't complain if you're caught.   At least you didn't get a speeding ticket. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Electronics in "airplane mode" may be used in flight. 

Do you know that his were not?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

All of this whining and crying about wearing a simple mask that keeps you and others safer. It isn't a big deal. At first, wearing a mask was a little uncomfortable, but after a year now, we should have all gotten used it it. It isn't a huge burden, and I don't understand what is a so controversial about not being a selfish &$%#. As for "my son's mask 'briefly' slipped down", um, yeah, right. 

For everyone out there complaining about the rules being enforced: "YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. THE RULES APPLY TO YOU TOO."

I fly on Southwest pretty much every week, and I have for several years. I've flown on a lot of other airlines too. I've flown to every continent except Antarctica. I've flown thousands of flights including hundreds of transoceanic flights. With very, very few exceptions, FA are friendly, fair people who treat you with respect and kindness. Try smiling, say hello, and use please and thank you, and you will see that they are decent people. And, Southwest FA's are the friendliest of all.