Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check IN

hcexec2006
New Arrival

Does anyone else thing that the "early bird" check in is fraudulent in a way?  You pay money but in now way does it help with your line position.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Early Bird Check IN

bec102896
Top Contributor

I don't believe Early Bird check in is fraudulent because it is a service that is offered no one just charged you for it and not give you anything and the airline doesn't force you to buy it now sure they will advertise it but that's not fraud. You pay for a service and you get the service which is earlier check in before others on the flight who didn't buy that service. It's no different than buying priority boarding from say united lots of people buy it but it doesn't mean you will be the first person to board you will be one of the first.

 

Hope this makes sense 

Blake 

Re: Early Bird Check IN

dfwskier
Top Contributor

as Blakke mentioned

 

1) Southwest says it will assign your boarding position 36 hours before Flight time

2) Southwest says you will get a better boarding position than those that check in a minimun of 24 hours before flight time (not counting people who cancel late and thus give up their boarding positions)

 

Southwest acutally does what it says it will do -- therefore no fraud.

Re: Early Bird Check IN

Passenger1C
Rising Star

@hcexec2006 can you please expand on your claim of being fraudulent?  I’m curious as to why you would post this?  My personal thought is if you want a better boarding position, you take advantage of what is being offered at a cost. Have you personally booked early bird? 


SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Re: Early Bird Check IN

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

@hcexec2006 wrote:

Does anyone else thing that the "early bird" check in is fraudulent in a way?  You pay money but in now way does it help with your line position.


The terms are that it checks you in early - it definitely does that.

 

I don't think a fraud claim would hold up, since it does check you in early. The problem is that there is an implication that early check results in a better position or that you end up with a better seat - but many other factors besides the check-in time can affect the overal position, so the benefit is relative to the particular flight, and in some cases might still result in a B-number when there are many A-list flyers, many other EBCI purchasers, etc.

 

Then a separate issue that there could be through passengers on a plane that also take some of the desirable seats.

 

And then a counterpoint, I've seen middle seat exit row go empty many times on moderately full flights, but these are generally known to be desirable seats - my informal survey says that windows and aisle seats in general end up being more desirable than a middle seat in the exit row.

 

A different group wants to be to the front of the plane for faster deboarding - they will take a middle up front even when the back of the plane is empty. 

 

So....its complicated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Early Bird Check IN

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@DancingDavidE wrote:

 

I don't think a fraud claim would hold up, since it does check you in early. The problem is that there is an implication that early check results in a better position or that you end up with a better seat - but many other factors besides the check-in time can affect the overal position, so the benefit is relative to the particular flight, and in some cases might still result in a B-number when there are many A-list flyers, many other EBCI purchasers, etc.

 

I think it's more than an implication. Southwest specifically advertises these things.

 

1.png2.png

 

The language used, however, is purposely vague. Because, as you mention, many factors affect your actual boarding position, and ultimately your seat selection.

 

This generalized language is meant to preclude any claims of fraud.

Re: Early Bird Check IN

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

@chgoflyer wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

 

I don't think a fraud claim would hold up, since it does check you in early. The problem is that there is an implication that early check results in a better position or that you end up with a better seat - but many other factors besides the check-in time can affect the overal position, so the benefit is relative to the particular flight, and in some cases might still result in a B-number when there are many A-list flyers, many other EBCI purchasers, etc.

 

I think it's more than an implication. Southwest specifically advertises these things.

 

1.png2.png

 

The language used, however, is purposely vague. Because, as you mention, many factors affect your actual boarding position, and ultimately your seat selection.

 

This generalized language is meant to preclude any claims of fraud.


I agree - the terminology "better" applies, and I see in your excerpt about the disclaimer, I'm actually happy that they added the language that it won't necessarily result in an A-position which is where the missed expectations have been occuring on the community.

 

The more explicit language would be too long:

 

"Better position than every other person checking in themselves at T-24, except for that first person to check in who would be the same either way, and the effectiveness of your EBCI purchase changes based on the number of A-list passengers, and other EBCI passengers in order of purchase, and considering through passengers will already be onboard, and if you end up with a B-position you'll be behind family boarding, military, and those that need extra time to board."

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Early Bird Check IN

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@DancingDavidE wrote:


I agree - the terminology "better" applies, and I see in your excerpt about the disclaimer, I'm actually happy that they added the language that it won't necessarily result in an A-position which is where the missed expectations have been occuring on the community.

 

The more explicit language would be too long:

 

"Better position than every other person checking in themselves at T-24, except for that first person to check in who would be the same either way, and the effectiveness of your EBCI purchase changes based on the number of A-list passengers, and other EBCI passengers in order of purchase, and considering through passengers will already be onboard, and if you end up with a B-position you'll be behind family boarding, military, and those that need extra time to board."

 

 

 


Unfortunately, it's not actually a "Better position than every other person checking in themselves at T-24," as you didn't mention the one exception I do think is actually problematic for Southwest:

 

"... except for anyone who checks themselves in and is randomly given a recycled position that may in fact be better than one you receive, even after paying the EBCI fee."

 

But yes, your point about length is true. 😉

Re: Early Bird Check IN

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

@chgoflyer wrote:


Unfortunately, it's not actually a "Better position than every other person checking in themselves at T-24," as you didn't mention the one exception I do think is actually problematic for Southwest:

 

"... except for anyone who checks themselves in and is randomly given a recycled position that may in fact be better than one you receive, even after paying the EBCI fee."

 

But yes, your point about length is true. 😉


Yes, maybe add that one too as a case. That one at least is WAY outside of anyone's own control. And I suppose if you wanted to try it, you could forfeit your EBCI position (no refund!) and try for it.

 

 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Early Bird Check IN

CareforNOLA
Active Member

Ha! Good description.  Nice to know that I am recycling when I change flights (as A-List preferred).  Keeping it green!