Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Ticket

judygolfing
Explorer C

Every time I have flown I have purchased Early Bird or Business Select.  However, when I get onboard I have found that "parties" purchase one Early Bird and then save seats for others in their "parties".

So therefore it is ok to purchase one Early Bird or Business Select, and then proceed to save a seat for others in my party?   I would like clarification on this as I don't think it's fair business practice that I follow the rules, and then am told when I want a particular seat it's being saved for someone that did not pay the additional fee that I did by following procedures.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Early Bird Ticket

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, people do buy one Business Select or EarlyBird and save seats. There's no policy against saving seats and also no policy against sitting in a "saved" seat. Flight attendants will mostly stay out of the situation and hope everyone behaves reasonably.

--TheMiddleSeat

judygolfing
Explorer C

I guess in the future I will only buy one Early Bird and then save a seat.  Poor Corporate Policy.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Yes, if you enter "saving seats" in the search bar you'll see that opinions on this topic are.....strong.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Customer | Home airport DCA

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@judygolfing, if you are located anywhere around the middle of the country, please keep in mind that many flights are “one stop, no change of planes,” so you might be the first Business Select or Early Bird Boarder and still see a great many passengers in the front rows.  When a plane lands, the attendants usually say “and if you are continuing on to .... with us, please remain in your original seat until we can get a through count.  After that, you are free to change seats and use the lavatory.”  Many through passengers find it advantageous to move to the first few rows during these breaks between landing and boarding.  

I know that does not address your specific situation if you see people that board first saving seats for later boarders, but even if you buy early bird (or if you are A-List Preferred), you may not be able to get one of the first seats on the plane.  I occasionally buy early bird for fellow travelers, but it has more to do with getting the guaranteed check-in than getting a specific seat.  

And yes, you can buy one and save the seats for others as it is “free range seating,” but when I sit in the back, I time the deplaning, and it is typically less than ten minutes. So I let those folks save their seats if they want to put up with the hassle of being questioned frequently and with some people actually taking the seat.  Not me.  I don’t want to sit by those people and usually ten minutes is not a big deal.  I always secretly hope that they are on a special trip like a family reunion or going to a wedding, because it helps me justify their behavior.  I will never know but for me, it is just another business trip and the seat does not matter.  As others have mentioned, some people feel passionate about it, even though I do not.  I hope you get a chance to relax and enjoy your flying time wherever your travels take you.