Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Emotional Support Animal

madsark
Explorer C

Hi,

I have had an emotional support animal the past couple months while I've been in college to help me deal with some issues. I have spring break coming up and was planning on bringing him. I have all the proper documentation, carriers, and notified the airline when making my reservation. The only problem is that he is a Holland Lop rabbit. When I was first looking to see if I could bring him, I saw no mention of him not being allowed onto the flight, especially if he would be in a carrier the entire time. Now as I do even more research, I'm seeing people say that only dogs and cats are allowed.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Emotional Support Animal

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest only accepts dogs and cats.

From the website:

NOTE: Southwest Airlines does not accept therapy dogs for transportation. We also do not allow Customers to travel with unusual or exotic animals (including, but not limited to: rodents, ferrets, insects, spiders, reptiles, hedgehogs, rabbits, or sugar gliders) acting as assistance animals or emotional support animals.

dsn0625
Explorer A

I personally find the increased number of emotional support animals flying to be quite alarming. Especially large breed dogs which have been on the last 2 SW flights I’ve flown. Luckily I’ve not had to sit near the animals but would hav been very unhappy if it happened. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dsn0625 wrote:

I personally find the increased number of emotional support animals flying to be quite alarming. Especially large breed dogs which have been on the last 2 SW flights I’ve flown. Luckily I’ve not had to sit near the animals but would hav been very unhappy if it happened. 

Agreed, regarding large breed dogs. I would much rather have someone with a rabbit on their lap vs a large, seemingly untrained dog who must occupy the bulkhead row, and snips at passengers as we are boarding.