Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Emotional Support Animal

Slang6901
Explorer C

I was advised by a Southwest crew member that as of Sept.17th the only support animals allowed would be dogs,cats & immature horses.(not sure if that was a joke) I have a documented letter from my psychiatrist that my Afrivian Grey must accompany me. I am major depressive & my African Grey is my support. Most people that make these rules are not educated in the terminology "emotional support."Any feedback on this matter. We have been flying for 9 years with Southwest.He is in a container and is quiet.Smh

Susan

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Emotional Support Animal

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Take a look at this post for more details about the changes:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Southwest-Stories/Service-Animal-Policy-Changes-Effective-S...

Only dogs and cats will be allowed as emotional support animals. Miniature horses are used as trained service animals. Sorry, it doesn't look like your Afrivian Grey will be allowed to fly with Southwest. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Take a look at this post for more details about the changes:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Southwest-Stories/Service-Animal-Policy-Changes-Effective-S...

Only dogs and cats will be allowed as emotional support animals. Miniature horses are used as trained service animals. Sorry, it doesn't look like your Afrivian Grey will be allowed to fly with Southwest. 

--TheMiddleSeat

@Slang6901if you follow the link posted by @TheMiddleSeat you can see that under the different categories:

ESA: only cats and dogs, it sounds like this is the function of your bird? You'll have to check this topic for the other airlines unfortunately.

Trained service animals: cats and dogs, and in addition that's where the mini-horses come in. It isn't Southwest's idea, that guidance comes from above. Provides physical service.

New category "PSA": same animals as trained service animals for slightly different physical tasks.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Slang6901
Explorer C

I am severely disappointed. I have documented paperwork that he is emotional support. We are inseperatable. Very sad.