Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Error Message - unable to retrieve reservation

DonnaR
Explorer C

I have three upcoming trips, all visible in my account.  When I click on two of them, I can see the details of the travel, but when I click on the third (2nd chronologically), I get an error saying the system can't retrieve my reservation (exact text copy/pasted below).  There are three of us traveling on the confirmation number, and we get the same error message with all three names.  The travel was booked on the web site.

Is this a known issue, or do I need to contact someone to resolve?  If this continues, we won't be able to check in for our flights.

Oops! This form has the following errors

• We were unable to retrieve your reservation from our database. Verify the following:
    • The confirmation number is entered correctly.
    • The passenger name on the reservation is entered correctly.
    • The reservation was purchased online via southwest.com or swabiz.com or mobile.southwest.com or Southwest Vacations. Purchases made through Southwest Groups, Southwest ticket counters, or other Travel Agencies cannot be accessed on southwest.com.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Error Message - unable to retrieve reservation

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Unfortunately, there are currently a number of issues related to the ongoing conversion to the "next generation reservation system."

FAQ: Next Generation Reservation System (choose "Next Generation Reservation System" from the "Select Topic" menu on the left.)

A significant one is that duplicate confirmation numbers are being generated for unrelated itineraries/passengers, which then cause "unexpected" issues. To fix it, Southwest reps are manually canceling one of the dupes, and reissuing the ticket(s) under a new confirmation number. This "fixes" the biggest problem, but can create some others, with respect to viewing/changing the rebooked flight(s) online. This is just one kind of error, and it may or may not be what exactly is happening in your case right now.

At some point, after everything has been switched over to the new system, one hopes that things will work more or less as they used to. Smiley Wink

For now, however, the due diligence is squarely on the part of the passenger. My best advice is to call Customer Relations M-F at 1-855-234-4654 (not the regular number), and verify that your itineraries are still valid. Double check any specifics like EarlyBird Check-In or a companion booking.

Good luck!

DonnaR
Explorer C

Thank you for the information - this helps a lot!  I'll call Customer Relations and follow up.

nicbarry24
Explorer C

I had the same situation Last Friday Evening. I called the 1-800 number and they told me that I needed to rebook my flight because for some odd reason they had my name two times in the reservation on their system. I was so furious when the error message popped up. But I will say that in regards to the situation I received a LUV Voucher on Monday. The voucher is for me to use for when I am ready to rebook my flight. I just would like to know if anybody has had the same situation that I had. I even tried to view it on my laptop and it still said that there was a system error on my reservation.