Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Error Message - when attempting to pay using PayPal

queenmgm
Explorer C

Hello All,

Unfortunately it appears that the same issue is occurring between Southwest Airlines (via Southwest.com) and PayPal Credit.  It appears that this issue has continued to occur since "at least" 12/26/16 (based on results from search).  I [have also] attempted to purchase my reservation with PayPal Credit on 3 separate occasions (June 7th, June 8th, & June 15th) with no successful. *Update: I also attempted to purchase on May 22nd

Each time I have received the same error message (most recent message on 06/15/17): 

• We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
  • Reference code: SW9999992-AAAA-kOYIXdRQSiqlaDOnjnQN6Q Occurred on: 06/15/2017 09:28:47

and spoken to NUMEROUS representatives on NUMEROUS occasions from Southwest Customer Service (1-800-435-9792), Southwest Customer Relations (1-855-234-4654), PayPal Customer Service (1-888-221-1161) and PayPal Credit Customer Service (1-866-528-3733). 

I just spoke with a PayPal Credit representative who informed me that the problem "may be" with the Southwest Airlines system not connecting with the PayPal system on the "merchant side." It was explained that the only way to "possibly" resolve the issue would be if someone from the Southwest Airlines (Merchant Support) IT Department contacted someone in the PayPal in a management position (over PayPal Accounts or the IT Department).  When I requested the telephone number(s), I was told that PayPal could not provide me with the contact information. I recommended to the PayPal Credit representative that PayPal may want to create an "escalated/elevated ticket" to their Accounts Department and/or IT Department to resolve the problem because at this point they are losing money because Southwest is advising customers to use another for of payment (i.e. credit card). 

This issue is not causing a loss in revenue to the merchant (i.e. Southwest Airlines) because their "quick fix" is to simple advise the customer to use another form of payment (i.e. credit card); therefore it appears that Southwest Airlines does not view this as an immediate problem that needs to be addressed.

So the bottom line is.....it appears that Southwest.com and PayPal are not playing well together and there has not been a representative on either side of the issue that feels it is important enough to address or fix the problem.

If this post is viewed by a Southwest Airline Community Moderator, please be advised that this problem has NOT been "solved" as initially indicated by a Community Moderator on 12/28/16 - Re: Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Employee

in response to the following community post on 12/26/16 -Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Tourist

Has there been any resolution from the previous community post concerning this problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Error Message - when attempting to pay using PayPal

RoadMama17
Explorer C

I try Southwest airlines for all of my flights first and have used them extensively in business as much as possible before retiring. In other words I FLY SWA and want to continue to do so.

My husband and I are on a fixed income and try to use several sources of 0% interest if paid within 6 mo, ie: PayPalCredit, AmazonCredit, etc. for larger purchases. Today we have lost several hours of our time since the advertised method of payment does not seem to work and no one seems to be able to help!

We made 3 attempts at purchasing our tickets through PayPal (offered as an option from Southwest airlines as a form of payment).  The first two attempts were made using Firefox as our browser. We received the error message below each time. We then called PayPal and they confirmed that our purchase showed "pending" but not complete. They suggested we try a different browser. Before trying a different browser we suspected this was a problem with Southwest being able to connect with PayPal (even though they offer it as a form of payment). We called Southwest airlines according to the error message and were told there was nothing they could do about it and they had no IT support department for us to call. We could purchase them right then with a debit or credit card but not with the offerd PayPal. So the third time we attempted to purchase we used Safari as our browser. Once again we received the error message below. Again we contacted Southwest as instructed by the error message, and we were again told they could assist us by using our credit card or debit card, but that they had no way of getting our purchase through PayPal. At least on this call the SWA customer service rep tried to find someone to help us, but to no avail.

After reading that this has been going on for over 6 months without resolution and since Southwest doesn't lose any revenue and then aren't motivated to resolve this issue, perhaps the only way to get it resolved is to threaten a class action lawsuit for false advertisement! VERY FRUSTRATING and certainly not the friendly customer service I am used to with SWA.

"We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have received this message, please try again. If you have received this message more than once, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). (SW900001-cCj_-JsdQRawe330ptsdBg)

(Friday, July 21, 2017 3:36:53 PM CDT)"

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest would do well to simply remove the PayPal option, since it causes so many customers so much frustration, and Southwest refuses to accept any responsibility to fix the issues.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

pay pal bank, credit card, or credit mode

zblair7
Explorer C

I had the same issue on July 28th. How was your issue resolved with SWA? Ive spoken to customer service reps as well as a "supervisor" at SWA corporate who basically said they would do nothing about it. As a result, I paid $140 more for my reservations due to the time it took to make the purchase via credit card. 

amwys4
Explorer C

Southwest Step Up and Address This Problem!!

It is ridiculous this issue with paying Southwest Airlines via the supplied PayPal.com link is still an issue.  No one wans to see the message, "We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)."

The first Southwest Airlines website posting I see about the problem with the error message and PayPal posting "pending" payments on peoples PayPal account is from 2016.  Why is it that in October 2017 I am having the same negative experience, along with others, and Southwest doesn't find it important to find a fix for the PayPal.com issue or remove the PayPal.com payment option if a fix can't be found.  Paypal is showing a "pending" charge to my credit card for a transaction Southwest's error message says did not get processed.  After getting the error message Southwest Airlines was unable to complete my request via PayPal.com I used a credit card to complete my purchase.  Now I have a charge staight from Southwest Airlines and an identical "pending" charge from PayPal.com.

I think there should be some amount of urgency on Southwest Airline's part to ensure our customer experience is a pleasant and seemless experience.  Why should we have the headache of fighting to keep from being charged for travel with Southwest Airlines that Southwest did not recognize during the PayPal transaction?  It seems Southwest Airlines doesn't care about this issue because they've received their money so why should they care if the customer is experiencing an issue which occured becuase of their website.  It feels like Southwest Airlines is saying, "we have our money so we're done!"

If this is how you treat us on a matter which doesn't seem like it would be a major undertaking to correct, how will you treat us if we have other types of issues?  If the online payment relationship with PayPal.com doesn't work properly, DISCONTINUE the option or FIX IT!!

This is poor business and non-customer service on the part of Southwest Airlines.  Southwest Airlines has been aware of the problem for almost 1 year that I am aware of from reading posts on Southwest Airline's website.  Your customers should not keep seeing "We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)."  This is a matter you can do something about, so will you please help us not get caught up in this frustrating way again!!!!

Shammyshams
Explorer C

It is February 2021 and this is still an issue have tried 6 separate times to purchase via PayPal and received an error message. When I called and asked if this means I should take my business to another carrier they told me yes. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Shammyshams wrote:

It is February 2021 and this is still an issue have tried 6 separate times to purchase via PayPal and received an error message. When I called and asked if this means I should take my business to another carrier they told me yes. 

Not sure what you are doing wrong, but 5 minutes ago I used Paypal to buy a ticket. 

Besides,  are you really going to select an airline based on whether or not you can use Paypal? I would think that things like schedules, price, bags fly free, no charge for changes/cancellations, etc.,  would be more important.

To each his own. Get real

Kaydan
Explorer C

No, it has never been resolved. This has just happened to me now in August, 2021, and something eventually told me to look further into this instead of assuming I had an actual ticket. I noticed I never received notification of funds withdrawn. 

Perhaps, I could just go in my PayPal and cancel the "pending order?" I really hope it is that easy and faster than sitting on hold waiting for my call to be answered as I type this. How can organizations simply just not care to acknowledge and fix this for 5 years?

aoneweb
Explorer C

Unfortunately, I tried eight times, got the same error. Now my PayPal account, shows eight transactions pending, and it won't let me dispute them.

Did anyone get a resolution to this, were you charged several times? 

Thank you for your help in advance.