Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Expiring credits

VermillionNova
Explorer C

From what I've read, it seem Southwest only extends credits after they expire and charge $100 to do so. My issue is that when I called to cancel my flight back in December, the employee told me I would be able to call in for an extension. My travel funds expire March 10th, but I won't be flying by then. I knew back in December that I would not be flying then. Had the employee expressed to me that Southwest would only extend my funds once they were expired and would charge $100 to do so, I would not have cancelled my flight. 

Whom do I need to speak with and what are the chances they will give me a luv voucher for the full credit of my funds once they expire? I feel this is owed to me as it was what was promised when I cancelled my flight. Actually, it's less than what was promised. I've had nothing but terrible service from customer relations so I was possibly hoping there was another, more competent department who may deal with this for me?

Thanks for any help

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Expiring credits

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Unfortunately, you travel funds do not qualify for an extension based on when you cancelled your travel.

For an exceptions, you would need to reach out to SW directly -- specifically to customer relations. I encourage you to use either FB or Twitter direct message or the App Chat option in the SW app.

Keep in mind that the SW teams are slammed right now due to all the travel disruptions. Good luck.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The employee told you the truth, you can call in and ask for an extension.  Is it their fault that you did not ask for more information about this process, when it needs to happen, and if any fees would be charged to complete the extension?  Everything the employee told you is true so therefore claiming that you are owed something and what you have available to you is less than what was promised is horse pucky.  Also, claiming someone you are working with is not competent is never a good way to get things resolved in your favor.  Good luck with this, just don't be surprised when no exception to policy is granted to you.  Southwest has been granting some exceptions based on covid restrictions so maybe you'll get an undeserved break.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Can you explain to me how you were promised MORE than a full refund to your flight?   Because that's what you're claiming. 

VermillionNova
Explorer C

No, that's not what I'm claiming. I'm saying I was never made aware I'd encounter such issues. So now instead of being able to book my flight any time such as now while the rates are very cheap, I'll instead have to wait and book it at Southwest's discretion. When/if they end up extending the funds, I'll likely be out $100 + be paying more for the fare versus booking now. This is why I would've liked to have known these details when my flight was canceled. When I'm told "you can call in and have your flight extended" I don't typically think to ask whether or not I'll need to wait for the credit to expire before having it extended and then pay a fee because who would? The fact the employee didn't mention these things to me is, again, incompetence. 

If you and the person above you are only going to scold me and be Southwest apologists then there is no reason for you to comment, you are contributing nothing. If you have something actually worthwhile to say that may help me with my issue then please let me know.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Going back to your original post I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. All I can see is when you heard funds could be extended you made the incorrect assumption that funds could be extended anytime and without any penalty. Unfortunately that assumption was incorrect, and since you did not seek further clarification about extensions when you originally asked you are now in the position you are in. So it's incompetentence if the agent doesn't automatically assume that you need to be told every detail, but not incompetentence if you don't ask for help when you are told something but don't understand? 

As I said before, maybe you'll get an extension, but you need to call first so stop thinking everyone at Southwest is stupid and admit that you screwed up and would like help. There's your worthwhile help that you asked for. 

--TheMiddleSeat

VermillionNova
Explorer C

I'm now being told by Southwest customer support "Your travel funds are not eligible for extension." This is a direct contradiction to what the employee told me when I canceled my flight. That is what went wrong. No assumptions just a blatant lie, thanks. 

I'll admit that a Southwest employee gave me misinformation and performed his job poorly. I didn't screw up. I'll also admit that you're an unwavering Southwest apologist.

gsking
Aviator C

@VermillionNova wrote:

No, that's not what I'm claiming. 

But what you said was...

@VermillionNova wrote:

Whom do I need to speak with and what are the chances they will give me a luv voucher for the full credit of my funds once they expire? I feel this is owed to me as it was what was promised when I cancelled my flight. Actually, it's less than what was promised. 

So if a "full credit of your funds once they expire" is less than what you were promised,  what were you promised?

Yes,  it does suck that you have to wait until after your funds expire.   That rule is annoying if you are trying to book a flight close to your expiration date.   But it's still better than all those other airlines.   

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@VermillionNova wrote:

My travel funds expire March 10th

Since no special "I make bad assumptions and think poorly of everyone else" policy exception is being made, your funds will be eligible for conversion to a LUV voucher on March 11. This is what the original agent you spoke to was referring to. Safe travels.

--TheMiddleSeat

VermillionNova
Explorer C

Man you have some awful attitude. Good to see top contributors on Southwest forums are just as unhelpful and borderline toxic as Southwest themselves. I don't make assumptions. When I'm told by one person "you can call in and have your travels funds extended" and another person from the same company says "your funds are ineligible for extension," you're saying that is somehow my fault. Me, as a consumer who doesn't fly often, should know more than trained employees of a company with a net-worth into the billions.

I'm just gonna say this the only way I know how; you're a jerk. Literally nothing you've said was helpful in any way whatsoever. On the contrary, matter of fact. I can see why you're a top contributor, given that you'll reply to anything, even threads where your help is obviously not wanted/totally useless/counter intuitive.