Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Explanation of Fares

fc3w
Explorer C

I'm new to Southwest.  Where on the website can I find a simple explanation of the various fares offered, ie business select, anytime, etc?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Explanation of Fares

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Click here:  http://swa.is/2lYOU1c

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @fc3w,

This chart highlights the differences between the fares, but the biggest one is that  Anytime and Business Select Fares are fully refundable, while Wanna Get Away Fares (which are deeply discounted) are not. 

Welcome to Southwest Airlines, and thanks for posting in the Community! Please reach out anytime with questions!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

To further simplify - most people buy Wanna Get Away fares to save money compared to the competition. WGA fares include two free checked bags and no change fees, re-usable value if cancelled. Earns points at 6x. When people talk about flying Southwest, these are usually what they are buying.

Anytime - you might buy this fare because you need a refundable ticket for whatever reason, and it earns points at 10x. These might be considered if you are buying last-minute tickets or making last-minute changes and the WGA fares are all gone.  You may never buy one...

...in almost any case if I had to buy an Anytime ticket, I'd buy a Business Select ticket instead, for the extra $20 you get the A1-A15 boarding, a drink ticket, and earn 12x points instead of 10x. Especially if you are in the running for A-list or companion pass and you had to spend the premium $ on a ticket you'd rather get the 12x points than the 10x points. Infrequent flyers still may want the fly-by security lane and the priorty boarding, even if chasing A-list isn't feasible.

I don't have stats on this, but I expect Anytime tickets to be purchased by infrequent Southwest customers booking last minute or where the refundable ticket is required but at the lowest price, and who don't need any of the boarding perks or want a premium beverage. I think frequent Southwest customers would go for Business Select instead, for the points, and maybe to maximize the chance at an exit row seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@DancingDavidE,

Awesome answer - thank you for the in-depth explanation and overview!