Re: Extending Companion Pass

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Check out this new blog post: A Message to our Rapid Rewards Members 

soxfan82
Adventurer C

Specifically regarding the companion pass, I hope Southwest will consider extending it thru part of 2022 for those of us who earned it this year before COVID-19. They exteneded it thru June 30, 2021  - but people in my situation already earned it thru the end of 2021 but have been unable to use it. Southwest usually does the right thing so I assume they will here, too. 

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Same here, earned in February and is valid through 12/31/21. It seems unfair to not include those who earned it until 2021 to June 2022 if the ones expiring in 2020 are extended to 2021.

Hoping they figure this out and make the change. Though they may not as they just said they added 25k Companion Pass Qualifying points to everyone which means more people will earn thru 2021. 😞

soxfan82
Adventurer C

Yeah, I mean I'm assuming that the amount of customers who earned CP already this year is relatively low, but even so, to get the 125,000 points in that short of a period of time requires some decent spending & loyalty, even if credit cards were partially used. 

Considering people who already earned  CP are basically getting left out of both of the new benefits (the 6/30/2021 extension doesn't apply to them, and also the 25K CP points being added is useless if you already earned CP with 125,000 points)...you'd hope SWA will show these folks a little 'Luv',  too. Extending their passes the same length as everyone else is getting would be fair. 

Matt4202
Adventurer A

I completely agree.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@soxfan82 wrote:

Yeah, I mean I'm assuming that the amount of customers who earned CP already this year is relatively low, but even so, to get the 125,000 points in that short of a period of time requires some decent spending & loyalty, even if credit cards were partially used. 

Considering people who already earned  CP are basically getting left out of both of the new benefits (the 6/30/2021 extension doesn't apply to them, and also the 25K CP points being added is useless if you already earned CP with 125,000 points)...you'd hope SWA will show these folks a little 'Luv',  too. Extending their passes the same length as everyone else is getting would be fair. 

Are you in this situation yourself @soxfan82 ? I'd be pretty surprised to see someone earn it in February or March for instance based on flights this year. If you fly that often, then won't it be earned again anyway to make any extension moot?

Regardless, you'll need to us the "contact us" methods to reach Southwest directly if this impacts you personally to make a case. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

I’m in this situation and I won’t be continually re-qualifying so this is crucial for me.

Signed up for the Credit Card in January which earned 100k  Companion Pass Qualifying Points with $25,000 spend which I met.

https://creditcards.chase.com/business-credit-cards/southwest/performance-business

Currently at 178k Companion Pass Qualifying points earned in 2020, not including the 25k they’re “giving” to everyone.

I fly pretty often but I primarily do points bookings rather than revenue flights so they don’t count towards Companion Pass or A-List sadly. Last year I flew probably 50 One Way flights or 25 Roundtrip Flights.

Do you really think people in this situation will have to reach out to Southwest and Southwest won’t be proactive in doing something for those who have a Companion Pass expiring December 2021?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

For anyone who's earned CP already this year, you are now done. There's no point in purchasing revenue flights or maximizing spend on the credit card. Shift behavior to points-burning versus points-earning, and/or shift purchases to a different credit card that offers a greater earning potential. No need to switch back until at least 2021, possibly 2022 if you're also churning credit cards for the sign up bonus and expect to earn it early in the year again (especially if Southwest does at some point extend CP for you into 2022).

Since the majority of people who have earned CP already this year did so through credit card spending (likely including sign up bonus), I suspect that Southwest will consult with Chase regarding extending CP for you into 2022. 

Matt4202
Adventurer A

While I agree with you on some points I disagree that Chase should be any factor at all in deciding an extension. The same group essentially made CP for 2019 until 2020 which they were extended until 6/21. So it’d be equally fair to extend those who earned until 12/21 to 6/22.

soxfan82
Adventurer C

Matt4202, I can tell you that I’ve made this exact request  to SWA on Twitter PM and was rejected outright, although they did say they’d take it under consideration, whatever that means. 

So then I contacted them over email, and currently I haven’t gotten a concrete response, just that it’s been passed along to the customer team.

Honestly I’m surprised because it’s simply the equally fair thing to do, and generally I can count on SWA to do the fair thing.