Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds medical reasons

Lonedancer
Explorer C

exp funds unable to fly MEDICAL reasons extension I have drs letter and last day was during hurricane

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds medical reasons

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

Are you saying you had a trip scheduled to/from an airport that was covered by a hurricane advisory, and had that trip cancelled?

If so, that presents an interesting question for Southwest customer relations.  You can reach them via the methods listed on th top left of Southwest's contact us webpage.

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

If not, Southwest has a policy on expiring travel funds. I am unaware of any variance from that policy. They expire after one year. After expiration, you have the ability to pay $100 to have the balance (minus the $100) reinstated in a form that you or anyone else can use. I believe that form of balance expires 6 months after that.

Hope your medical situation has improved.

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds medical reasons

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Hello.

Are you saying you had a trip scheduled to/from an airport that was covered by a hurricane advisory, and had that trip cancelled?

If so, that presents an interesting question for Southwest customer relations.  You can reach them via the methods listed on th top left of Southwest's contact us webpage.

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

If not, Southwest has a policy on expiring travel funds. I am unaware of any variance from that policy. They expire after one year. After expiration, you have the ability to pay $100 to have the balance (minus the $100) reinstated in a form that you or anyone else can use. I believe that form of balance expires 6 months after that.

Hope your medical situation has improved.

I'll add that the doctor's note is probably the key information if an exception can be made. The hurricane would be immaterial unless you already had plans to travel during that time. If this was the case where you had something planned prior to the hurricane and had to postpone it, then that would also be good information to mention.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.