Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

Rose22
Explorer C

I had to cancel my trip due to medical reasons. My trip was for February 20, 2018 and my unused funds expired March 1, 2018. The amount of the unused funds are $129.00 is there anything that can be done?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest doesn't extend the expiration date of funds -- their system won't even allow it.

Once expired you can request reissue of the funds as a voucher, but the fee for that is $100, leaving you only $29. To do so, contact Customer Relations. You have 6 months in which to do so, and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from issue. Vouchers are good for use by anyone (not just the original passenger) but do not cover any taxes or fees, which must be paid separately. Requests are granted on a case-by-case basis, and this non-published policy (including the amount of the fee) is subject to change at any time.

Are you sure of the expiration date? Funds expire one year from the date of purchase, and since Southwest only allows booking 6-7 months out, you couldn't have booked a February trip back in March. (This could be explained if you applied older travel funds from a previous flight that had the March expiration date to the February flight when you booked it.)

You mentioned needing to cancel due to medical reasons. If you were hospitalized and couldn't travel you may be able to present proof to Customer Relations and request consideration of a refund.

Good luck.