Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending travel credit

Richchr
Explorer C

Shame on southwest for not extending everyone credit that expires in June of this year. We had to cancel our flight do to the Covid-19 and southwest still has not extend our credit. The announcement back in March telling people their credit will be extended if they cancel in March was a lie. Same of you for taking advantage of the situation that’s going on when people are losing family and their jobs. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Extending travel credit

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

If the situation continues, I would expect that the extension of the funds will continue. As this is an ever-evolving situation, they will continue to re-evaluate. I would advise you to keep an eye here, and you can also reach out to SW via Twitter or FB Messenger.

The good thing is if the end up making an exception for June expirations, it will automatically be applied.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Richchr wrote:

We had to cancel our flight do to the Covid-19 and southwest still has not extend our credit. The announcement back in March telling people their credit will be extended if they cancel in March was a lie. Same of you for taking advantage of the situation that’s going on when people are losing family and their jobs. 

Part of that announcement said that it would take several weeks to implement the change.

Be patient

ODETYMES
Explorer C

Big disappoint so far.  Booked in Feb for a family trip of 4 in July and find the due to the BOOKING DATE we are not eligible for the extension and thus forcing us to use expensive vouchers before Feb of 2021.  I would hope this too is extended otherwise a cheesy way to keep our money.......Southwest are you going to step up?

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

@ODETYMES wrote:

Big disappoint so far.  Booked in Feb for a family trip of 4 in July and find the due to the BOOKING DATE we are not eligible for the extension and thus forcing us to use expensive vouchers before Feb of 2021.  I would hope this too is extended otherwise a cheesy way to keep our money.......Southwest are you going to step up?

This is incorrect. Per the travel credit extension guidelines, if you *cancel* a flight between March 1 and June 30, 2020, your resulting travel credit will be extended to June 30, 2021. See the blog post referenced above.

Thanks,

Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

But they are extending the credit, if you cancel a flight from now until June 30, OR if you have any existing travel credit that will expire by June 30, is being extended to June 30, 2021. It takes awhile for the system to update because they are doing it *manually* from what I understand. Be patient.

Post explaining travel credit extensions: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Blog/Policy-Update-amp-Clarification-Extending-Travel-Credi... 

Thanks,

Jessica