Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extension of Travel Funds Due to Covid-19

marynnp
Adventurer C

I originally booked a flight to Honolulu to attend a work related conference. I had to re-book that flight because the conference dates were revised. The conference is now cancelled altogether because of Covid-19. Is there any way that I can get an extension on the expiration date of the travel funds? It is very unlikely that I will be able to book and travel before the funds expire given the current pandemic, as I am a health care provider. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Extension of Travel Funds Due to Covid-19

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

As of now southwest hasn't announced any change in policy to allow travel funds to be extended. 

The current policy is that travel must be complete by the expiration date which is one year from the date your ticket was originally booked. 

If you would like to discuss with Southwest you can do so though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake 

SWDigits
Aviator A

@marynnp wrote:

I am a health care provider. 

Thank you!!!!

Customer | Home airport DCA

babyblue78
Explorer C

Good morning SW.  Here is my question.  We are sports officials and most of us book our travel at the beginning of the year.  So in our case most of us booked our travel beginning in January 2020.  Due to this corona virus the executives for the NCAA cancelled our spring season.  Due to this cancellation of our season we had no choice to cancel our flights that we have booked with SW from March 12, 2020 on to May 2020.  My question is this.  Our flights were booked in January 2020 and now have a travel fund expiration of January 2021.  This wont help any of us.  I currently have $3,000 in travel funds with SW currently.  What would assist us is if SW could extend those travel funds to June of 2021 so we can continue to fly with SW.  Is this possible?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@babyblue78 wrote:

.  What would assist us is if SW could extend those travel funds to June of 2021 so we can continue to fly with SW.  Is this possible?

Since this is a customer to customer forum, you will not get a definitive answer to your question here.

You should contact the airline:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Stacylou1971
Explorer C

What is the email address? When I click the link to send an email it won’t take me where I can send one. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

There is no publicly available e-mail address. Why? Because the airline would be covered in spam. There is a company specific e-mail like there is at many companies because they are impervious to spam bot attacks

Go to the link I provided. Find e-mail on he le side of the page, and click on "send us a message"

darcolino
Explorer C

You need to address your travel fund policy due to COVID-19. I booked a trip to move my daughter home from college and used part of the funds I had from a previous credit. Now that college is online only, I cancelled the trip and now the entirety of my purchase expires soon. We are in shelter-in-place. How the heck are we supposed to use those credits. They will all expire. My son has credits that have to be used by April 8th as well and will expire. Please extend the time we have to use these and stop taking advantage of your loyal customers at a time in need!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@darcolino Responded to your similar post here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@marynnp Happy to share that SW announced yesterday some adjustments to help folks in your situation.  See the details here:

In recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:

• Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021

• Any newly created travel fund because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021
-A List, Companion Pass holder