Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Face Shield

crclark2010
Explorer C

Can I wear a face shield in place of a mask on a Southwest flight? 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Face Shield

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

No.

"Face shields may be worn in addition to face coverings, but not in place of face coverings."

https://www.southwest.com/airline-cleanliness-social-distance/#heres-where-you

--TheMiddleSeat

jenaemcmurl
Explorer C

That is so stupid. You should be allowed to wear a shield if it covers. Wont be flying. Lost my business

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jenaemcmurl wrote:

That is so stupid. You should be allowed to wear a shield if it covers. Wont be flying. Lost my business

I don't believe any airline allows a face shield without also wearing a mask.  I guess you won't be flying for awhile.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Besides  federal law now says masks are mandatory for those age 2 and higher. That applies to all airlines. So if you plan to fly airline “x” instead of southwest, you are about to be disappointed.

if you want to wear a shield too, that is ok.

CalGal254
Explorer C

On our flight 9-23-20, face shield alone was not allowed.  It had to be a mask that secures under the chin, with no vent.  This was very frustrating because another post on this board had said the shield would be okay, and my husband's oxygen saturation rate went below satisfactory levels because he had to wear the mask.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I borrowed this from another similar post.  

Your best bet is to go to the source which is updated on an ongoing basis: Southwest Promise.

This way you will always have the latest requirements. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

If a paper mask is going to crash your husbands oxygen levels to an unacceptable manner, then perhaps he is too vulnerable to be flying right now. In any event, if you can't wear a mask, Southwest (and most other airlines) do not feel that they can safely accommodate you right now.

jenaemcmurl
Explorer C

I am sure you have experienced lack of oxygen wearing a mask all day. There is no room to breathe. You are breathing in your same oxygen constantly and its has been proven to cause lung issues. Flu stats went down once Covid started. Everyone believes what they hear. including you.

eileen31425
Explorer C

Perhaps he needs a portable oxygen concentrator?  You can travel with one, and use it under your mask.