Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Facemsk Bait and Switch Deceptive Practice

owenbaynard
Explorer C

Flew on 5/12 facemasks 'mandatory', three legs of trip all passengers complied, forth leg one man refused, allowed to board, four others followed suite, 95% retained face covering.  No action from SWA or Staff, yet they reserve space at front and back to 'protect' their staff, regardless of facecovering.  To change policy After we are in boarding que is disingenuous and does not respect those who booked passage knowing the 'safety' rules in place at the time.  No notice, no respect. Not what I expect from SWA.  I am strongly reconsidering air travel in favor of the car.  Twelve flights from mid Jan to March (9weeks).... do you want business travelers and growth, or do you want to stagnate?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Facemsk Bait and Switch Deceptive Practice

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While airlines are “requiring” masks, it appears only JetBlue is actually enforcing it. I guess you’ll either fly JetBlue or drive if you want 100% mask coverage.

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Southwest didn’t want to “Require” masks in the first place.

If you’re that concerned about it you should’ve taken pictures and sent it to SW via Twitter. Their Twitter team is an extension of their Executive Office.

dfwskier
Aviator A

No airline can completely enforce the "masks required" rule -- including Jet Blue

Several points to consider

1) Some people do have medical conditions that make wearing a mask risky.

2) Any attempt to refuse service to these people  for not wearing a mask would be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. and open the airline to a suit for discriminating against a disabled person.

3) Like preboarding, any passenger that says "I can't wear a mask" must be believed.  The airline cannot question the passenger about why that is the case, or ask for proof.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Another point to consider

What is a pilot / flight attendants  to do if mid flight some passengers take off their masks? I guess the pilot could declare an emergency and land at the nearest airport, and get those passengers off the plane.

I've checked and not found one instance of a plane diverting due to "mask required violation."

FAs could approach those passengers and ask that they put their masks back on, and if they don"t (see paragraph 1)

The reality is the best airlines can do is ask people to follow the rules. Some will, and a few will not.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Another point to consider

What is a pilot / flight attendants  to do if mid flight some passengers take off their masks? I guess the pilot could declare an emergency and land at the nearest airport, and get those passengers off the plane.

I've checked and not found one instance of a plane diverting due to "mask required violation."

FAs could approach those passengers and ask that they put their masks back on, and if they don"t (see paragraph 1)

The reality is the best airlines can do is ask people to follow the rules. Some will, and a few will not.

I think the current situation is less about the occasional passenger removing their mask in flight, and more about the number of passengers who are opposed to wearing a mask in the first place, as a violation of their "rights."

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

Southwest didn’t want to “Require” masks in the first place.

But they did.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Apparently they didn’t....

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

Apparently they didn’t....

No, they definitely did. 😉

In fact, it was even a promise.

And that promise used the word "required" multiple times.

1.png

It is highly encouraged to bring your own hand sanitizer and mask, and to wear your mask while traveling. Face coverings or masks will be required for Customers starting May 11. If you forget your mask at home, one will be available for you. For more information on our mask policy, see our FAQ.

2.png

3.png

And just in case there's any confusion over the meaning of the word...

required.jpg

lborges48
Explorer B

I will NOT wear a mask on an airplane. I will be driving as long as this draconian rule is in place. Have fun with that.