Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fear of flying after 9 years do to claustrophobia and Anxiety

Rdiaz
Explorer C

Around 9 years ago I had my first anxiety attack, at the same time I notice that I also suffered from claustrophobic, not able to get in elevators much less in a plane, I had to get off twice from a plane while going on a family trip. Since then I had not tried to get on elevators or Airplanes. I have been meditating over the last couple months and also on medication to were I can now get on elevators with no issue. I would like to try to get on a plane if possible that is not scheduled to flight out and seeing if I can handle being inside the plane without getting an anxiety attack. My goal is to be able to fly again since my family wants to take trips that are on the east coast and me in El paso I have had to drive everywhere. My question to Southwest is there a possibility that I can get on a plane that will not be heading out? I previously saw a video about the Plane whisperer were a group of people had some therapy over 3 session's prior to facing there fear boarding or being able to get on an actual flight. Unfortunately did not see that the plane whisperer is doing these therapy anymore unless someone knows or has information. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Fear of flying after 9 years do to claustrophobia and Anxiety

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Perhaps send a message directly to Southwest. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message.

Good luck

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

don't worry millions of things more risky

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is the first time I have ever heard of a "plane whisperer." I am sorry the fear of flying gives you anxiety, but there is no reason to be afraid. Flying is very, very safe. 

--Jessica

Rdiaz
Explorer C

My anxiety kicks in when the door to plane closes makes me feel trapped. I'm hoping that once I can get back on plane and I can overcome the fear the first time I will be fine. I just want to see how I react on a flight that I'm not scheduled to be on. Just so my brain can soak it all in saying everything will be fine. If you get a chance look in YouTube "plane whisperer" the stories of how many people have this type of phobia will blow you away. 

prakashxd
Explorer C

I also get anxiety similar to that!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Rdiaz wrote:

My anxiety kicks in when the door to plane closes makes me feel trapped.  

So how do you handle travelling in a car which is certainly a smaller  and more confining space than a plane?

Goforwand1
Adventurer B

@dfwskier To me, the biggest difference between in a car and a plane is control of the situation...I did a lot of amateur racing in a Mitsubishi IX with a full roll cage, HANS device and 5 point harness...you couldn't feel more "trapped" per se, but subconsciously I knew I could always "get out" if I wanted; never did because I never "felt" trapped....you don't have that choice in a plane. The main reason I fly Southwest is because the Southwest fleet of 100% 737's have a bigger and more open "feel" to them and are not as confining as an E-175 with 1x2 rows...I can't in fly those types of planes....

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

If you do get the chance to try this i suggest bringing enough people to create a crowded environment on the plane. Also try getting up and going into the bathroom on the plane and then back to your seat. 

Make sure you are eating enough. Anxiety is hard to fight but it’s not unbearable. This isn’t the time for dieting though. You need s storing healthy body to win the fight. 

Stay strong and hearty, keep fighting, and you will win. 

Mm1236
Explorer C

Hello

i read this and thought it was me writing. Did you ever find a solution to this fear?  I am trying now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.