Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Finding car rental

RonRN18
Explorer C

I have not used Southwest for finding car rental but thought about it due to getting Rapid Rewards points for an expense I already plan on paying. My problem is all of their partners are listing only weekly rates instead of daily and my trip is only 5 days; I'm being charged for 2 days I will not be needing the car. I can easily find cheaper rates from the same company elsewhere by paying daily instead of weekly, but it doesn't seem like the Southwest website is giving me the choice.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Finding car rental

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If price is important I would suggest you book directly from the car rental company website, I've never been impressed with the prices going through Southwest. Most rental companies will still give you RR points if you put your RR# in your profile, but beware they also typically have a fee for each day you want to earn points. Basically you're just buying airline points/miles from the car rental company when you do this. You'll find details in the fine print.  The extra cost of booking through southwest.com has never been worth the additional points to me.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: Finding car rental

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@RonRN18 wrote:

I have not used Southwest for finding car rental but thought about it due to getting Rapid Rewards points for an expense I already plan on paying. My problem is all of their partners are listing only weekly rates instead of daily and my trip is only 5 days; I'm being charged for 2 days I will not be needing the car. I can easily find cheaper rates from the same company elsewhere by paying daily instead of weekly, but it doesn't seem like the Southwest website is giving me the choice.

That's normal that car rentals offer a "weekly" rate for trips that long even if you don't use it every day of seven day period. Try shortening your car rental request to compare the daily rates vs the weekly rate over five days and it may still look good.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.