Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fining Coronavirus Positive Customers

jgray6251
Explorer C

Despite the fact that these customers are literally prohibited to fly (based on federal regulations), Southwest won't allow them to extend travel funds. Instead, they have to wait until those funds expire, and then pay a $100 fee to get them extended for another six months. $100 isn't a small processing fee. Its a lot of money for a lot of customers. And when you consider how many people are affected, I'm sure it amounts to a disgustingly large profit for Southwest to pocket. As far as I know, Southwest is the only company I've ever heard of that is fining ill customers over their inability to meet federal health regulations. At the end of the day, COVID-19 positive customers can either pay up the $100 fine so they can do the right thing and keep others safe, or they can say to heck with it and climb-aboard knowing they are likely to infect other customers or crew members. I know I will NEVER feel safe traveling on Southwest again and you shouldn't either.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Fining Coronavirus Positive Customers

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's not like someone is permanently prohibited from flying if they have had covid.  Don't fly while you are sick, but you can fly any other time.  Travel funds are good for at least a year after making the original purchase, that should be plenty of time for someone to find a time to travel when they are not sick.  There is also no "fine".  You want an extension beyond the year, then the value is reduced some.  There is no out of pocket additional expense and this flexibility is just as or more generous than other airlines.  Please look into other airlines' policies before you go shouting how horrible Southwest is.

--TheMiddleSeat

jgray6251
Explorer C

You are 100% wrong. My co-worker just tested positive before a trip she was supposed to take with American Airlines using travel funds from a previous trip that got canceled. Its the exact same position as my mother but unlike Southwest, American Airlines was more than happy to extend my co-worker's travel funds through the end of 2023 - and did NOT charge her $100 to do so. The hotel and car rental company also didn't charge her any fee to re-book her travel plans. I can see if my mother's Southwest air tickets were bought through a third-party booking site at a reduced price. But they weren't. She bought them direct from Southwest where she mistakenly thought there would be advantages to paying more for her tickets. She got injured last spring and couldn't make her original flight so SW extended her travel funds through one year. Problem is, she's now battling long-term COVID and literally can't fly according to federal regulation. You're kidding yourself if you think that Southwest's $100 "processing fee" is standard operating policy. It's a health fine. Plain and simple. And other airlines are NOT inflicting the same financial burdens on their customers.

jgray6251
Explorer C

this is obviously not a community to share experiences with Southwest. I had hoped to receive some type of professional response but instead, its just a bunch of angry people spouting nothing but their opinions. Not one of you are experts but you all have a nice day and continue thinking anyone cares about your "views."

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jgray6251 wrote:

this is obviously not a community to share experiences with Southwest. I had hoped to receive some type of professional response but instead, its just a bunch of angry people spouting nothing but their opinions. Not one of you are experts but you all have a nice day and continue thinking anyone cares about your "views."

Is that what you say about anyone that disagrees with one of your opinions?

Fact: you knowingly bought a non refundable fare which is useable for one year from the date of purchase.

The rules  DO NOT say "Non refundable except when (*)

*= insert reason  

Southwest gives you a chance to buy a cheaper fare. In return you accept the risk that you will not be able to use the ticket. It really is that simple. 

Of course, you could have bought a refundable ticket and paid more for it, but you chose not to.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest isn't fining anybody anything.

NO AIRLINE is extending their versions of travel funds due to "the bug."

At least Southwest lets you keep part of your money.

Do you know that the other airlines do? Do you? The other guys KEEP ALL OF YOUR MONEY

after expiration.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Despite every precaution in the world, I got COVID. I was tested negative 5 days after my positive test. Are the funds expiring in the next week?

jgray6251
Explorer C

You're totally wrong. Fly American -- where you won't have to worried that you're surrounded by COVID-positive passengers who can't afford to pay $100 to reschedule their flight.

gsking
Aviator C

You had Covid for a YEAR?   WOW... better call the CDC.  You're a medical miracle. 

And if you think everyone flying is sure they DON'T have Covid... you haven't been paying attention. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

What a strange post.

Southwest extended travel funds from customer cancelled flights from March 2020 - September 2020 to September 2022. That's more than two years. Plenty of us have flown numerous times throughout 2020-2021. 

IMO, extending benefits even further (i.e. to 2023) is prolonging unnecessary and unfounded fears that we don't need to placate anymore. 

It's been over 2 years of this. The pandemic is over. Get your shots and boosters and stay home if you're sick. Or don't. Life needs to go back to how it was before we all became scaredy hypochondriacs and I don't mind dying on this hill.

--Jessica