Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time flyers! We are freaking out!

Noteplayer96
Explorer C

Me and my sister are flying for the first time ever this Sunday!  We are nervous about the whole checking in, check baggage,  And going through security!  What if we get lost and miss our flight?! Is there like a guide that can help us through the process? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: First time flyers! We are freaking out!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Don't worry, lots people fly for their first time every day and for the most part airports are easy to navigate and folks who work there are pretty helpful. So we can give you better information, can you please provide what city you are departing from, where you're going, and if you have any stops along the way? Also, if you provide information about how you're getting to the airport and if someone is picking you up or if you are renting a car when you arrive we might be able to give you even more information. 

Noteplayer96
Explorer C

We are departing from atlanta and are headed to Los Angeles -LAX. We have a plane change stop in Denver. That probably has me the most nervous.  We have a family member picking us up once we reach los Angeles. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you did not purchase Early Bird Check-in, you should check-in for your flight 24 hours before your flight on southwest.com. Click the "check in" button and enter your information. This will provide you with a boarding position and boarding passes. No need to print them, you can get them at the airport when you check bags. 

It's been awhile since I've been through Atlanta, but it looks very similar to Denver so you'll have no problems. Assuming someone is dropping you off at the airport in Atlanta, you'll want to go to the North Terminal, that's where you'll see signs for Southwest. Get out there and go inside where you'll see Southwest ticket/check-in counters. You will need a photo ID and you'll be able to check up to  two bags person, each weighing up to 50lbs. You'll most likely use a kiosk for this process so it's helpful to have your confirmation number available. Confirm with the staff that your bags are tagged to go to Los Angeles, get your boarding passes (two per person) and you're done. 

Proceed to the security screening area where you'll need your ID and boarding pass to get through. Listen to the instructions from the TSA staff, just make sure you don't have any liquids or gels in containers larger than 3.4oz. More details about security and what is allowed can be found here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

After security get on the PlaneTrain and head to Concourse C, that's where Southwest flights are. At Concourse C find your gate and follow instructions for boarding when they begin boarding about 30 minutes before departure. When you get to the gate it's always good to confirm with a staff member that you are at the correct gate and you can ask for clarification about the boarding process.

In Denver you'll get off the plane and can ask a Southwest staff member to tell you what gate your flight to Los Angeles is at. Or look for the large displays that list all the flights and find yours and its gate number. All flights are in the same concourse like Atlanta so just look for the large sign with your gate number. No need to get on a train. Again, when you get to the gate it's always good to confirm with a staff member that you are at the correct gate. You'll board just like you did in Atlanta. 

See, no problems! Just remember you can always ask anything Southwest employee for assistance. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy your trip! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Additionally, based on the rough itinerary you sent me I was able find your flights. You don't have a lot of extra time in Denver but should have enough to use the restroom and get to the gate before boarding begins without running. If you're worried about time or if your flight from Atlanta is late, just ask a southwest employee to give you advice. 

Also forgot to mention when you land in Los Angeles you'll follow signs to baggage claim where you'll get your bags, then the pick up area is right outside baggage claim. Enjoy the LA traffic, lol. 

Noteplayer96
Explorer C

Another question. Our flight back leaves at 12:30 is that in eastern time (when we booked the tickets) or western time (where we are now)?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Times listed on a reservation or a ticket are always based on the time zone of the airport. So if you're departing from a pacific time zone airport, the time is pacific time. If you are arriving in eastern time zone, the arrival time listed is in eastern time. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

BTW, how was the first part of the trip? Everything go well?