Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Attendant mask statement!

darberg
Explorer C
Flew home late last night from Baltimore to Indy....Fully get it's been a tough year and patience isn't always abundant right now...but WOW...Our flight attendant was sporting a red mask with the following:

STUCK BETWEEN IDK (I don't know), IDC (I don't care) and IDGAF (I don't give a F)

Seriously this is the person taking care of us while flying? Sure hope this isn't the "new norm". This is the person making sure we are comfortable and orderly while flying? What happened to caring about customers??? 
SWA flight attendant.jpg
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Flight Attendant mask statement!

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're so sorry your encounter with our Employee has you questioning our commitment to Customer care and professionalism, @darberg. As a Customer-to-Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations via private message on Facebook or Twitter, so we can document your concerns and follow-up internally. Please include your travel confirmation number so they can look up your flight as well as the image you captured. Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

Steelwool
Explorer C

IMO it's funny. They're just trying to ease the tension with a tad bit of humor!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Steelwool wrote:

IMO it's funny. They're just trying to ease the tension with a tad bit of humor!

I agree with you. I'm sure that flight Attendants HATE enforcing the mandate, but they do because it is their job.. They are constantly beaten up verbally, and actually physically beaten up all too often.

Try to put yourself into the position of a FA. Every single day you go to work KNOWING that some number of people are going to be confrontational. Some will just scream at you, others will try to beat you up. It's high stress. I would not like the job.

Thus it's not surprising that some FAs are trying to make fun of the situation in order to lessen the stress.

gsking
Aviator C

This is entirely the OLD norm for SWA.  If you're new to their snarky humor,  it might be surprising.   But it's their brand. 

If upright and formal is your thing,  you would likely prefer another airline. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I get Southwest. The two airlines that I frequently fly are Southwest and Emirates (international business class only), and there couldn't be two more different experiences. I like that Southwest is fun. However, somethings just cross a line, and I think that this is one of them. Be fun, joke, be lighthearted, but wearing something that says in some form or another, "I don't care", well, that isn't Southwest. Shouldn't the goal of Southwest to project "I do care"?

I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it, but I have to admit that if I saw this, I would roll my eyes and think it wasn't appropriate. After that? I'd shrug my shoulders and move on with life.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

100% inappropriate.

gsking
Aviator C

@bwallet wrote:

I get Southwest. The two airlines that I frequently fly are Southwest and Emirates (international business class only), and there couldn't be two more different experiences. I like that Southwest is fun. However, somethings just cross a line, and I think that this is one of them. Be fun, joke, be lighthearted, but wearing something that says in some form or another, "I don't care", well, that isn't Southwest. Shouldn't the goal of Southwest to project "I do care"?

I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it, but I have to admit that if I saw this, I would roll my eyes and think it wasn't appropriate. After that? I'd shrug my shoulders and move on with life.

Well said.   The threshold of thinking something is inappropriate vs.  being so aggrieved to get online and act like someone kicked your puppy has been blurred.   In today's world... they are one and the same.  Being offended is now a badge of honor... signifying something to be proud of or something. 

And to take it a step further and conclude that this somehow implies this person can't do his or her job is another stretch. 

We're wearing masks much longer than many of us think is prudent.   It's driving many of us bonkers and creating divisiveness more than unity.  Why not take some of the seriousness out of the tires to soften the ride a bit? 

As with most of these online rants,  I'm not sure what the goal is.   To garner sympathy or solidarity?   Because it seems if we disagree,  we're told that we're not helping, or being mean, .   I guess we're just supposed to say "Amen" and thus the afflicted party feels justified in their torment.    

Seems a little like letting the emperor run around naked in my opinion.