Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight cancellations

Pepintrk
Explorer C

Sorry for the inaccurate post. I apologize for wasting people's time.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Flight cancellations

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

As of right now, 6:10pm EDT, Baltimore/Washington is reporting a thunderstorm over the field with lightning in all quadrants. That is coming directly from the current weather observation (METAR) at BWI made at 6:07pm EDT (2207Z).

Also, the Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TAF) for BWI is calling for showers or storms until 1:00am.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

Dang, it took me too long to respond figuring out how to get a screenshot on there and you beat me!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE
I only provided verbage. You provided the dramatic graphics, which made far more impact than my technical jargon.

Good job!

Glad I'm not flying anywhere along the East Coast tonight.

Pepintrk
Explorer C

Thank you for the information. I got a bit angry and wrote the post. I didn't have accurate info so I apologize for wasting people's time.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@Pepintrk wrote:

Thank you for the information. I got a bit angry and wrote the post. I didn't have accurate info so I apologize for wasting people's time.

Your frustration was very understandable, so don't worry about that. And you certainly were not alone. I was in line at Midway yesterday with a bunch of passengers whose flights had cancelled and there was lots of frustration to go around.

Thanks for apologizing. Personally, I'm a big fan of Southwest and try to defend them when I feel that they are blamed for things out of their control. So many Customers have complained about the weather-related cancellations on the Community over the last few days and it's nice to see somebody who understands that some things can't be helped, no matter how frustrating they may be.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Pepintrk wrote:

How is that a flight is cancelled due to weather (flt 2397) yet the departure city (FLL) is sunny and the destination city (BWI) has light rain one hour before arrival and 50% chance of rain at arrival time? Could it be that SWA then has license to hose you for $500 and place you on a flight the next day? I always thought SWA was better but than that.  I have flown with SWA solely for 10+ years.  Honestly I am very disappointed with this treatment.

One potential reason is that the plane was out of position due to weather whereever it was coming from prior to FLL. FlightAware says it is more than light rain in BWI and that the whole airport is delayed for arrivals up to 2 hours, so it is a pretty significant disruption there as we speak.

FlightAware shows a pretty dismal situation...see the graphic if you were to fly through thunderstorms the whole way.

I'm not sure what you mean by the $500.

That is too bad not to have any other options...can you get to Reagan or Dulles instead and drive, or standby on any later flights to BWI?

This looks pretty dismal flying through thunderstorms all the way from FLL to BWIThis looks pretty dismal flying through thunderstorms all the way from FLL to BWI

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lipps46
Explorer B

https://aviationweather.gov/cwamis

Here is the actual link to the weather

lipps46
Explorer B

Often the graphics will be off because they are reporting flood warnings in the area. Not aviation alerts.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@lipps46 wrote:

Often the graphics will be off because they are reporting flood warnings in the area. Not aviation alerts.

The graphics are from fliteaware.com, a real-time aircraft tracking website. The graphics are not off and there are no flood warnings shown.