Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight change for part of the trip

sgleas
Explorer C

If I have a round trip ticket, can I change the departure city for just the outbound trip (e.g., if I have a round trip ticket from Denver to Chicago and returning from Chicago back to Denver, can I change the outbound flight into Los Angeles to Chicago, keeping the returning Chicago to Denver flight)?

If so, what is the price difference? Is it the difference between the original round trip ticket and a one-way ticket from LA to Chicago? Or would I need to buy a second one-way ticket for the return trip from Chicago to Denver?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flight change for part of the trip

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Yes you can change just the outbound city.

if you have the southwest mobile app you can click change flight and if your not logged in enter the confirmation number it will then pull up your reservation you would just select the outbound flight then it will allow you to change the departure airport. If you have any problems changing it you can call southwest at 1800-435-9792 and they would be glad to assist you with making the change.

NOTE you will not pay a change fee but if there is a difference in fare you would have to pay that.

Happy Travels

Blake

Re: Flight change for part of the trip

PaulRisberg
Explorer C

By all means, change it to two one way tickets if possible.  Your flexibility will be vastly greater.

Re: I have a multiple city round trip that I need to change and make it a direct flight

rhtravel
Explorer C

I have a multiple city round trip that I need to change and make it a direct flight.  How can I do this online?  I booked a round trip to MCI/ATL then the return is ATL/TPA on the same day.   I  want to change it to MCI/TPA direct flight.  When I select both legs to change it won't let me do a direct flight.  It's making me put a return flight. 

I'm on hold now with a waiting of 70 mins!!  I really need to get this done quickly.

Re: I have a multiple city round trip that I need to change and make it a direct flight

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

I would just cancel the original and then rebook with the travel funds.