Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight funds

jenniferg70
Explorer C

I canceled flights a few months back (for 6/22/19 and 6/29/19). The one I'd purchased w/points got refunded back to my account with points. The others (I'd booked for my husband and 2 children with our SW card) were not "refundable," but I was told by SW agent that the funds would be on our account for future travel. We booked flights for November 2019 recently (with the SW Visa), but I didn't think at the time to look into using those saved funds. Anyone know how to go back and have the new flights credited w/the funds? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flight funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you cancel a Wanna Get Away fare more than 24 hours after purchase you will receive travel funds, as you did previously, to use towards a future flight. If the old travel funds are expiring soon and you don't believe you'll be able to use them if not used on this new reservation then it might make sense to cancel and rebook with the old funds. If you can use the old funds on an additional reservation before they expire then I would suggest leaving the new reservation as is and just remember to use the funds next time. Be careful if you do cancel and rebook using the old funds, if you use both the old and new funds to make a purchase (apply 2 funds to the purchase) any remaining value takes on the earliest expiration date of the two funds. Suggestion (if rebooking) is to use the old funds and pay any remaining balance with cash and then use the new funds later on. Either way, there's no way to get cash back.

Hopefully this isn't too convoluted to understand,

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you cancel a Wanna Get Away fare more than 24 hours after purchase you will receive travel funds, as you did previously, to use towards a future flight. If the old travel funds are expiring soon and you don't believe you'll be able to use them if not used on this new reservation then it might make sense to cancel and rebook with the old funds. If you can use the old funds on an additional reservation before they expire then I would suggest leaving the new reservation as is and just remember to use the funds next time. Be careful if you do cancel and rebook using the old funds, if you use both the old and new funds to make a purchase (apply 2 funds to the purchase) any remaining value takes on the earliest expiration date of the two funds. Suggestion (if rebooking) is to use the old funds and pay any remaining balance with cash and then use the new funds later on. Either way, there's no way to get cash back. 

Hopefully this isn't too convoluted to understand.  Let me know if you have additional questions,

--TheMiddleSeat

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

If you have searched these discussion boards, you have probably seen some tips.  You have to maintain the confirmation numbers and the name of the ticket holder.  The Airline will not provide them to you in any situation (so hopefully you can search emails if you didn’t write them down when you cancelled the original flights).

The funds can only be used for the ticket holder (cannot cross to a new person).  

When you book a new ticket, choose Travel Funds as the method of payment.  

Finally NEVER think that you can extend the expiration of the funds by booking a new ticket, then canceling it.  It has the opposite effect.  Any funds added in the newly cancelled tickets now have the old and earlier expiration date.  

Hopefully this helps.