Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Flights are full sorry

SWDigits
Aviator A

I don't like stories like this!

I know this doesn't help the original poster but I'm thinking out loud for others for future reference.  Costs will vary but I think there are three potential options that *may" help for scenarios when someone absolutely needs to get somewhere:

1. Travel at least a day early in case there are delays, for weather or any other reason.  This option adds the costs for food/lodging/etc.
  2. Explore third-party travel insurance providers to see what protections may be available if you are delayed or your trip is cancelled.  Some credit cards come with trip delay or trip cancellation insurance so it's also worth checking with your credit card company before you pay for a stand-alone service.  This option may add costs for the coverage.
  3. Explore Freebird (https://www.getfreebird.com/buy_freebird/enter_itinerary) a third party service, as they will rebook you on the first available if you are on a domestic flight in the United States. I paid for Freebird once, this past summer, and was happy I didn't need to test the service.  Some airlines have agreements where they may rebook you with another airline during extreme operations but Southwest doesn't have this in place.  When I used Freebird I mentally added the cost of the service to the cost of my Southwest ticket and still came out ahead versus any other airline.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Flights are full sorry

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

I don't like stories like this!

I know this doesn't help the original poster but I'm thinking out loud for others for future reference.  Costs will vary but I think there are three potential options that *may" help for scenarios when someone absolutely needs to get somewhere:

1. Travel at least a day early in case there are delays, for weather or any other reason.  This option adds the costs for food/lodging/etc.

I learned that lesson over 40 years ago. I was running a meeting at an MCI hotel. Meeting was to start at 10. My flight was to arrive at 7:30 -- plenty of time. Weather intervened and after three aborted attempts to land we diverted to Salina, KS. I arrived at 2 for my own meeting. I was the last person to arrive for my own meeting.

Never made that mistake again.