Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with Infant

Bhs3034
Explorer C

I know what the website states about needing a boarding verification document. I just got off the phone with a customer service person and she stated a copy of the shot records for my 1.5 yr old would be more than sufficient and they only really request verification if they feel the child is over the 2 year old age limit. I will be flying out of columbus,oh. Is she correct in that the shot records would work?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Flying with Infant

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Here is what the SW site says: "Please keep in mind that Southwest Employees may ask for age verification at any point within the Customer journey, so Customers should travel with a copy or original of any government-issued ID, such as a birth certificate or passport, for their Lap Child."

They do only use the docs to verify birthdate, but if I were you, I would try and carry a birth certificate. The physical paper of a copy or photo of it will do, and we have always used the hospital ones -- not even the official ones from the government office.

I imagine that they would accept a shot record if it has the birthdate, but given the guidelines above, I would not bank on it.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Flying with Infant

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Bhs3034 wrote:

I know what the website states about needing a boarding verification document. I just got off the phone with a customer service person and she stated a copy of the shot records for my 1.5 yr old would be more than sufficient and they only really request verification if they feel the child is over the 2 year old age limit. I will be flying out of columbus,oh. Is she correct in that the shot records would work?

We have used medical records many times although a birth certificate is always welcomed as a first option.

This is also only if you are flying as a lap child, if you chose to buy a ticket for the infant then they are a regular customer and no ID is required.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.