Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with children

Flofjax
Explorer C

First time flying as a adult and I am so confused. My children who have bought seats are 5 7 and 13 years old are they allowed 2 free checked baggage? Also my 7 year old son has severe asthma what can I do to help his breathing while in the air? And last but not least my flight leaves at 7am at logan airport Boston Ma with having children what is the best time to get to the airport? I was thinking 5am what do you think is best and safe with the pandemic? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Flying with children

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Flofjax wrote:

First time flying as a adult and I am so confused. My children who have bought seats are 5 7 and 13 years old are they allowed 2 free checked baggage? Also my 7 year old son has severe asthma what can I do to help his breathing while in the air? And last but not least my flight leaves at 7am at logan airport Boston Ma with having children what is the best time to get to the airport? I was thinking 5am what do you think is best and safe with the pandemic? 

There's nothing confusing about the process. It is pretty easy

Yes, every paying passenger is entitled to two pieces of checked luggage, and two carry ons - one of which must be small enough to fit under the sea in front of you.

As far as your asthmatic child, be sure  child takes the normal asthma preventive meds before boarding, and have rescue inhalers (or whatever you use) available on the flight.

As far as when to get to the airport goes, airports are not very busy due to the virus. So unless you are travelling around the Christmas holiday, you should not have much of a crowd to contend with. I believe the ticket counter opens two hour before the first flight of the day, so for you a 5 am arrival at the airport would work. I don't think you'll need the full two hours You should have you bags checked at least 45 minutes prior to flight time. Curbside bag check in should be available.

Have a good flight.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

As always, DFW gives good advice.  

Here would be my last suggestion.  I know everybody hates the back of the plane, but I would suggest sitting back there close to the restroom.  The reason being, if your asthmatic child needs to do so, they can go into the restroom for a min and take their mask off and just breath normally.  I'd also suggest this, maybe purchase a face shield, that way they can do like I do, I just pull my mask out and away from my face about every 10 min or so for 2/3 breaths and then let it return to my face.  What I would suspect, (at least I'm comfortable with this) if somebody did it more often but still had a shield on, I feel safe in that.   

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Don't forget that all of your children will be required to wear a mask. No exceptions.