Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with toddler

nromano87
Explorer C

Hey Everyone!

My husband and I have to travel back to NY with our two year old son for  a very important reason. We have been working with him on wearing a mask, and he can do it, BUT I’m worried that if he chooses not to the day we we get on the plane they will kick us off. Does anyone know the policy on this? Will they kick us off if he decides to throw a tantrum and not wear it? Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flying with toddler

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@nromano87 This is my take on how I personally view the guidelines; I cannot speak for how the airline would handle.

The federal mandate is for kids two and up. So most importantly, regardless of how SW enforces, the federal rule is that your son would need to wear the mask.

Additionally, SW's guidelines' only exemption for children are for kids under the age of two.

That said, I think you would have to accept the fact that if you child doesn't wear the mask, SW is within its rights to remove you all from the flight. We have a child who is almost two, and she thinks masks are fun for about five minutes before she is done, so I get that this is a really tough situation!

I hope you are able to get where you need to and that you child will be happy masked up! Good luck.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

nromano87
Explorer C

Thank you!!! 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@nromano87 Happy to help! I appreciate your trying your best to understand the guidelines and to adhere!

It is a challenge right now with the kiddos. Again, wishing you the best.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Courtney123
Explorer C

Sad that the U.S. CDC decides that children go from infant to instant adult on their 2nd birthday with this federal mandate. Most other countries have strict mask mandates but have much later cut off ages (European nations range from 6 to 11) and Australia is 12!. Before February 2, it was a private airline policy and now it's the law. I hope we don't see any 2 year olds going to jail over this soon!