Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Food service on board

klfielden
Explorer C

Lindsey (Southwest employee), your pleasant response is so refreshing! Another reason we always fly Southwest! Luv!

Spinkick
Explorer C

Oreos are fine but the cranberry/orange cookies were beyond awesome! please continue serving them

LiteTraveler
Explorer C

I always bring my own snacks; although Southwest provides snacks:  pretzels, peanuts and assorted cookies (and as many as you ask for during serving time).

1cruiselvr
Explorer C

I fly often nonstop from TN to NV.  I've never gotten more than a free soft drink and an offer of one free snack - crackers, cookies, etc.  Never gotten a 'bigger' snack. 

ScottMc101
Explorer C

Not ALL flights offer service ... 

I am a A+ member with a companion pass and fly almost weekly on SWA.  Our beverage service has been canceled on probably 8 out of the last 10 flights I have been on.  And no I don't fly the same place so its not likely due to a specific route.

But - if you do the math - Southwest is lost a TON of money due to the Christmas Flight debacle last year - $220 million, according to ab article by the New York Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/26/business/southwest-airlines-fourth-quarter-earnings.html#:~:text=....

They also reported a loss of $163 million, according to https://www.southwestairlinesinvestorrelations.com/news-and-events/news-releases/2023/04-27-2023-114... 

An average soda costs about $0.75 - $1.00 for the airlines, once you factor in the cost of the drink itself (they purchase cans), the cup, and the ice (which isnt much).  Still - on average a flight has about 150 passengers - that's easily $112 - $150 they can put in their pocket when they "cancel" beverage service - and that's assuming each passenger only has one drink.

On a recent flight (the one I'm on as I write this) - we were once again denied this "freebie" service in the name of supposed "turbulence" despite a relatively smooth flight.  I've heard others mention that the captain is the one who makes that decision, so I asked.

When I asked about this, instead of simply answering my question, letting me know that the captain made the decision, etc. the flight attendant said something like "let me find out".   A few minutes later, the captain came on and "explained" why he felt it was important to cancel service - essentially providing an excuse for why they did this.  When I asked for the captain's name, so i could verify this with SWA customer service, I was met with another flight attendant who basically told me "were not going to do that" and refused to give me his name.

He also threatened that they would "divert the plane" ... although I was extremely calm and was seated in my seat, not yelling or anything.  I guess I was talking loud enough for other passengers to hear - can't have more than one passenger figure out the little secret.

Although I dont know what they are so worried about.  Most of the passengers on the plane will never even tell their friend or a significant other about the experience, let alone do anything that could actually make a difference (like report this on social media or via customer service).

But still ... you dont have to "hide" and refuse to provide your name if you aren't doing anything wrong.  So yea - this is all being done in the name of "safety" - lets go with that.

(Andy BTW, I can afford to buy everyone on the plane a drink if you're thinking I just want the free drinks; I could care less but it annoys me when companies lie to their customers and think we are stupid!)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ScottMc101 if you are really concerned you can contact Southwest, provide your exact flight info, and they can provide information all without you demanding the pilot's name. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

Sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory to me, but whatever floats your boat. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@ScottMc101 

Sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory to me, but whatever floats your boat. 

The conspiracy is in the part of Mother Nature, just a busy storm season this spring. Your experience should even out over the rest of the year. 

I’m sure they get reports from the previous pilot about turbulence, sometimes it clears up but they’ve already decided to cancel.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

margeragan
Explorer C

peanuts and sometimes pretzels/cookies, but should bring your own too!

malharmn
Explorer C

Peanuts / Pretzels are always on flight as long as your flight is atleast an hour and /or depends on turbulance. 

sunflower
Explorer C

Peanuts are not available if anyone onboard declares an allergy.
As I require protein and not a lot of empty carbs, I always bring my own food.