Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Food service on board

ephifany
Explorer C

They have  wide assortment of snacks.  They bring around a stocked large cardboard display with all kinds of snack items and you can pick anything you want out of it.  It's really nice.

Laurarain
Explorer C

We fly SW exclusively.  To help us stay healthy while traveling as much as we do, we bring protein bars, nuts, fruit or other snacks that keep us from having fast food in the airports.  Due to TSA regulations we fill our water bottles past security.  As an A List customer, we periodically receive free drink coupons that we will use on late night flights.

Don10e
Explorer C

OK, this may be the secret tip of the year.

TSA allows you to bring beverages like soda and water through security...if it's frozen.

i don't know why, but it's true.  I freeze 3/4 of a plastic bottle of soda.  I take it out of my bag and put it with my change and phone for security. As long as it's frozen they pick it up and confirm it's frozen and put it through.  No need to sneak.

I freeze diet Mountain Dew.  Then I order on the plane or buy at the Paradis shop a Sprite Zero.  I pour some into the MD and voila, ice cold soda.  Lasts most of the day.

just remember me in your will.  😄

texasbbqribs
Explorer C

Soft drinks, water, and alcoholic drinks and peanuts or pretzels are the norm. If you're on a really short flight, the food may not be available. One thing I love about Southwest is they start taking orders before the flight starts sometimes when they know time is limited. Compare that to United or American who may only provide water on a short flight.

But, I think 9/11 really ushered in a wave of change where there are usually a lot of options in the terminal so you can bring on whatever you want.

JohnandDawn
Explorer C

Soda and juice are complimentary. Alcohol can be purchased for $5 (credit card only) or with a valid drink coupon. Peanuts or pretzels for shorter flights or cookies/crackers on longer flights are complimentary as well. 

pathfinder2011
Explorer C

I love Southwest food service. This is the only airline except for Jet Blue that allows you to get as many snacks as you like and will return to verify if you would like more.

Flyingfool1
Explorer C

I was given a choice of peanuts cookies, pretend or crackers.  Also, I think you can buy a snack box if the flight is longer than 2hrs.  I think.  I have no problems with free soda coffe tea or water or juice.  If I want something different to eat I bring it with me.  With the cheaper prices or using reward credits, it's worth the INconvience ,   I have been on long flights before that have free meals or buy a meal and they really aren't worth the extra cost of the flights. But then southwest doesn't fly everywhere around the world.  

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Love this thread!

On short haul flights, we serve complimentary peanuts and pretzels. On our longer flights, we offer complimentary snacks like cookies and crackers. 

pattik
Explorer B

Plane cookies rock! Adults appreciate them as much as kids (maybe even more!). Personally I like Fritos, please keep them in the snack offerings mix. Woman Happy

Ggirdley
Explorer C

Regarding snack on “longer” flights can you be more specific? For example, Phoenix to Seattle? We don’t want the new snacks because my wife is allergic to coconut and you just started serving coconut Belvita cookies on longer flights. You did this AFTER we made reservations. Customer service said we cannot Request they Don’t serve them like peanut allergies.