Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Forced off the plane

Frequentflyer89
Explorer C

My wife and I were planing on a little mini vacation to Arizona and we brought out 2 year and 2 month old on the plane with us. We sat in the very back so we wouldn’t bother anyone, however we were harassed by the flight attendants because he didn’t have a mask. What!? He freaking TWO YEARS OLD!! However, she provided us with one.  If any of you have kids understand how hard it is to reason with a TWO YEAR OLD!  A few min went by and we were asked/forced to get off the plane because our TWO YEAR OLD refused to wear a mask!!! Are you kidding me!!?? HES TWO!! They have a hard time keeping their pants for heaven sake!!! This is RIDICULOUS!! But a according to new federal law two weeks ago, ages TWO and up must wear a mask. Even if they are over even by a month. I can understand 4 and up. Oh and before anyone asks, we had the flights booked way before this “new” law was in place. Absolutely embarrassing. Thanks Southwest!

42 REPLIES 42

Re: Forced off the plane

dfwskier
Aviator A

I presume you are unaware of the fact that there is a federal law that requires everyone

age 2 and higher to wear   masks.

Do you expect SW t violate federal law?

Frequentflyer89
Explorer C

It’s the fact that we received nothing not even an email stating this before our flight. Nor did anyone say anything while the 3 hours that we were there waiting. It wasn’t until we boarded. Now they don’t know when our luggage will be available, and when it is that’s going to be a 2 hour drive. And that’s if they even get our luggage back correctly. And When the heck will we fly since the tickets are nonrefundable? Probably when he’s actually old enough to understand why face masks are needed. Two years old? Give me a break 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's noted when you check in for your flights.

It's a federal law.

swa-suck-it
Explorer A

It's a little late to be notified when you check in for your flight.  What were they supposed to do?  And it's not a federal law.  They're rude.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@swa-suck-it wrote:

It's a little late to be notified when you check in for your flight.  What were they supposed to do?  And it's not a federal law.  They're rude.

Before you can buy a ticket, you have to attest that you agree to certain things. Among them is a statement that everyone 2 and older must wear masks, and failure to do so may result in removal from the plane.

So you are notified long before check in time. You are notified before you can buy a ticket.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest has required 2+year olds to wear masks since last July. Federal law just codified it.

People are reminded it by the gate agent while boarding.

This is not a new development. Heck the airline tells you in writing when you check in:

"Federal law requires each person to wear a mask at all times in the airport and throughout the flight, including during boarding and deplaning. Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law and may result in denial of boarding, removal from the aircraft, and/or penalties under federal law.Children under the age of 2 are exempt.  " 

You were tified. You shouldn't have been surprised.

Frequentflyer89
Explorer C

False. They literally told us today it was implemented two weeks ago because people “didn’t feel safe” with children not wearing masks. Giving me a break!!  And no, no one told us until we boarded the plane. My son literally never had a mask for the 3 hours we waited to board our plane not during check in not during anytime except when we sat down in our seat on the plane. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Frequentflyer89 wrote:

False. They literally told us today it was implemented two weeks ago because people “didn’t feel safe” with children not wearing masks. Giving me a break!!  And no, no one told us until we boarded the plane. My son literally never had a mask for the 3 hours we waited to board our plane not during check in not during anytime except when we sat down in our seat on the plane. 

Masks for everyone age 2 and up has been policy since basically the beginning of the pandemic. As noted earlier, it just became law recently, under the new administration. It's stated very clearly all over the Southwest website, and repeated when you book your flight, in the email confirmation you receive, and when you check-in online.

Enforcement prior to boarding is the responsibility of the airport, but pre-boarding PA announcements by Southwest staff repeat the requirement. My guess is it's possible that it was assumed your child was under age 2, until boarded and the FA realized he had a seat (as required for children over age 2), so then enforced the mask requirement, per federal law.

You can think whatever you'd like about the policy's need, but that doesn't change it's requirement.

Ultimately, if you were unaware of the policy, it's because you weren't paying attention.

PetertheProphet
Adventurer B

Executive orders aren't law. Here in America, only Congress can pass laws.