Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Forgot to use travel funds

Aubrav
Explorer C

They are nontransferable

Nece002
Explorer C

I hate that unused travel funds are non-transferrable.  I lost money last year for a flight I was unable to take, and by the time I could use the funds, the time had expired.  To me, that's my money, and Southwest took my money. #lol  I'm laughing now, but I wasn't then.  It's just unfortunate, and they need to come up with some type of one-time extension or one-time refund policy.  It just doesn't seem fair to take money from people, and not provide a service or product.   #JustMyOpinion

cynapsia
Explorer C

Travel funds are not transferable, it has to be used by you on a flight - the flight date has to be before the expiration date, not when the flight was purchased.

Good News: Instead of losing ALL your money if won't fly before the expiration date, they will let you extend the expiration but at the cost of half the travel fund. I recently did this with a travel fund, I lost money - yes but at least not all of it. 

For someone's comment on work vs personal, I don't think which credit card you purchased matters. If you use company's credit card vs personal. If there is a travel fund under your name/reward number, should be valid (if your company let's you Smiley Very Happy)

chgoflyer
Aviator A

FYI:

@cynapsia wrote:

Travel funds are not transferable, it has to be used by you on a flight - the flight date has to be before the expiration date, not when the flight was purchased.

Good News: Instead of losing ALL your money if won't fly before the expiration date, they will let you extend the expiration but at the cost of half the travel fund. I recently did this with a travel fund, I lost money - yes but at least not all of it. 

For someone's comment on work vs personal, I don't think which credit card you purchased matters. If you use company's credit card vs personal. If there is a travel fund under your name/reward number, should be valid (if your company let's you Smiley Very Happy)

FYI: The fee to reissue expired travel funds as a voucher is $100, which is deducted from the balance. (Not "half the travel fund.") These requests are granded on a case-by-case basis, and is subject to change at ant time. You can only make the request once the funds have expired.

Mstx70
Explorer C

So I can request an extension for a $100 fee?  That would be great instead of losing $800, I will contact customer relations tomorrow morning first thing.

dappertapper
Explorer C

My biggest problem with SW's residiual travel fund policy is that there is no 'pop-up' to remind you that you have these funds when making the next reservation.  Nor is there any 'friendly, customer pro-active' email ever sent to remind you that you have funds available for use.

Shades of United Airlines overbooking policy!!!