Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Found an issue with changing Travel Funds to Points

Matt4202
Adventurer A

So I know in coming weeks Southwest has announced they will make a way for people to change Travel Funds to Points. Which seems like a great thing and in some cases it is a good thing.

But, overall it’s a bad thing for two reasons.

1) You won’t earn points for those flights you take whereas if you booked with Travel Funds you would earn points.

2) You won’t earn any credit towards Companion Pass or A-List which you would otherwise earn when booking with Travel Funds.

I flew about 40-50 One Way Flights last year and didn’t get anything in terms of credit towards Companion Pass or A-List because mostly they were booked on points. 

Just wanted to make people aware of this before you fully commit to changing Travel Funds to points.

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Found an issue with changing Travel Funds to Points

bec102896
Aviator A

I think the funds to points will benefit those who don't fly much because they could then use the points to book for someone else or there is no expiration date on points so they could use the points 5 years later if they wanted. For frequent fliers or those going for status I agree that it wouldn't make much sense since you wont earn credit on a points ticket. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

On the other hand converting your own travel fund to points lets you buy a ticket for anyone - something you can't do with your travel fund.

Nothing prevents you from using your own travel fund that allows you to earn RR points.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Not saying I'm 100% one way or another just pointing out that this is an issue most people won't take into consideration which is why I made this discussion post.

If you don't travel often then sure go for the points, but if you fly with SW and know you will then I'd say keep the credit to earn points and progress towards status.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

That's all true. The exchange rate will also be a factor in the decision to convert or not. We've been assuming it will be 78 pts/$1, since that's the redemption rate, but it remains to been seen if that's what Southwest will actually offer.

w5aj
Explorer C

The problem ... I bought (in error instead of using points) three tickets for other family members.  The tickets are not in my name but the $$funds$$ to purchase were on my SW Visa RR card.   Those family members can transfer to points then transfer the points to me.  A REAL PITA (PAIN) .  folks at SW know that can be done but making process less painful isn't in their cards and really kinda horsey about doing it the long painful way.   I told guy at SW customer Service to expect FAA complaint but they were fine with that....

Robert (A+ priority member)

dfwskier
Aviator A

@w5aj wrote:

The problem ... I bought (in error instead of using points) three tickets for other family members.  The tickets are not in my name but the $$funds$$ to purchase were on my SW Visa RR card.   Those family members can transfer to points then transfer the points to me.  A REAL PITA (PAIN) .  folks at SW know that can be done but making process less painful isn't in their cards and really kinda horsey about doing it the long painful way.   I told guy at SW customer Service to expect FAA complaint but they were fine with that....

Robert (A+ priority member)

Sorry you are disappointed, but the airline is operating in exactly the manner it promised it would operate in it's contract of carriage. You agreed to it when you bought the tickets.

Another point, don't have others transfer points to you because it costs money to do so - thus diminishing the value of the points. Instead have those  people use the points to buy tickets for you.

w5aj
Explorer C

Excellent benefit - we miss judged or booked a trip, got wrong party and canceled tickets.  That was mistake -> Get SW to change the names first!!!!  woops, now those funds are locked to folks that won't be traveling.  Can't get anyone's attention in Dallas office that will help!! so going points gets me something rather than $600 flushed.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@w5aj wrote:

Excellent benefit - we miss judged or booked a trip, got wrong party and canceled tickets.  That was mistake -> Get SW to change the names first!!!! 

No airline lets passengers change the names on   existing tickets, so that would not have worked.

woops, now those funds are locked to folks that won't be traveling.  Can't get anyone's attention in Dallas office that will help!! so going points gets me something rather than $600 flushed.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Matt4202 Thanks for pointing this out!

Caveats like this are always interesting because...I have a feeling that anyone who flies enough to qualify for status or CP will already be well aware of these points you mention.  On the other hand, folks who don't know these points likely don't travel enough to come close to qualifying for status and CP.

That said, part of playing the "game" is playing by the rules, and what you point out is definitely an important consideration.  For some (like me), I would not dream of taking the point conversion option, BUT for some, it could be a great option...especially for those who might prefer to use their funds-converted-to-points for others to travel.

Southwest was not quick to offer some of the options that have come about here, BUT I am really happy with what they are now offering in the way of travel fund extensions, points, status, CP. There are options, and the community here is the perfect place to talk through them all. 🙂

-A List, Companion Pass holder