Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Funds Expiring before Pandemic ends

S2bx04
Explorer B

I saved my credits and my luv vouchers from inconvenienced flights. I flew on connecting flights and went out of my way to use SWA to accumulate points. Remember, you’re not in every city. And still, I bragged about SWAs flexible policies.  

I book my flight, using my hard earned credits, only to have a Pandemic stop me from traveling. All other airlines are extending credit or refunding through the end of the year (some even later), yet my travel funds are expiring in May. Doesn’t sound like the loyalty is a round trip, more like one way!

Tell me something else. Are you hiring new representatives without adequate training? Before I cancelled I called to ask when the points would expire and the rep gave me incorrect information.  What they have been trained on is to tell customers that it’ll cost $100 to reinstate $217, of which only $70 was from a credit. So, if my math is right, I’ll be paying $247 for a $217 ticket. Again, sounds a little disloyal and unethical to me!

Maybe the policy will change soon but with Fed breaks being announced,  this delay is not looking good in the eyes of your loyal customers! 

-The Window Seat

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Funds Expiring before Pandemic ends

callyouout
Explorer B

I agree with you 100%. Greedwest airlines is full of nothing but disappointment and greeed.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hello,

Travel funds can be used within 1 year of date of the purchase of a flight. Southwest charges no fees to change or cancel your flight, which is why you have travel funds to use in the first place. No other airline does this because they charge as much as $200 to change or cancel flights. 

In addition, if you apply a travel fund from a previous reservation to a new reservation, the new reservation will take on the expiration date of the travel fund. This is current policy and has not changed, as well.

If Southwest decides to extend travel fund expiration past 1 year, we will hear of it when they make an announcement.

Let us know what other questions you have. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We hear you @S2bx04, and we appreciate you sharing your concerns here. I'm happy to share that we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds. For the latest information, click here

Nicole
Community Manager

S2bx04
Explorer B

Thank you, this is greatly appreciated!

S2bx04
Explorer B

Thank you, I can read and understand policies. What I can’t understand is the attitude! 

I had one question and one concern. The concern was addressed, I appreciate the flexibility and change to the policy! The question, however, was not answered. So no, I do not have further questions for you! The customer service I received and the tone in your response further questions my choice in airline. Please get off your high horse, you may have great cancel/change policies, but so does my local Walmart, Target, Grocery Store, Hotel, Car Rental, Amazon, and just about everyone else except the airline industry!  

FrankHaggerty
Explorer B
Southwest Airlines National Emergency: 73 YR O Rhode Islander Cancels Trip To Florida 3/18/20

SW company policy won't extend $400 vouchers and airfare 1 YR  from the cancellation date.

Southwest Airlines Response SR 

#Nofederalhelpforairlinesimages (45).jpgdownload (40).jpg

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@FrankHaggerty As I mentioned on your other post, pls remove your personal info from your post here.  This is a public forum.

-A List, Companion Pass holder