Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: GLOBAL PANDEMIC- ZERO EMPATHY

Tonton83
Explorer C

Sorry I didn't clarify I meant our group travel was 14 but they state different factors go into pricing and it's special pricing and I only meant my immediate family traveling was 5 and the online pricing for the group when I had to call ended up costing just a few dollars more than had our travel party all booked their immediate families on their own instead. Sorry my original post was a bit misleading!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Tonton83 if I were in your shoes I would send a letter to Southwest (their mailing address is listed in the "Contact Us" link at the botttom of forum pages) requesting that they reconsider the group policy given your situation.  I've read several other similar posts so you are not alone.

I can only hope Southwest take appropriate action given the circumstances.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Prestor
Explorer C

I'm in the same situation, please tell me if you had a outcome in your issue.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Tonton83.

If you have a groups reservation with our Group Desk and need to reschedule, your travel agent or group leader (who booked the ticket) can call the Group Travel Services number to make the request at 1-800-433-5368  Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to midnight Central time.

If you are requesting a refund for any reason, please send your request in writing to SouthwestGroupTravelRefunds-DG@wnco.com along with any supporting documentation for our consideration. Due to the our high volumes, we will be able respond within 5-7 days. 

Thank you, 

Nicole
Community Manager

CBATTLE314
Explorer C

this was done and the response was change the date or receive 1 e-gift card for the total amount but how does that help each person that paid there fare?  giving each individual a e-gift card makes more sense or a voucher. 

JSmurphs
Explorer C

The fact that Southwest doesn't care to change any policies is insane. I had a hotel that was a no cancel/no refund rate and was able to cancel AND get a refund because of what's going on currently! Southwest rep was rude and uncaring. "This has always been our policy. You have until September to use your $800 or you lose it. OR pay another $200 and can use the $600 after September."  When I tried ask why Southwest wasn't bothering to change any policies due to the current situation, she again said "your flights have been canceled." and hung up on me. Real professional as well. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thanks everyone here for sharing your concerns. In recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds. For the latest information, click here

Nicole
Community Manager

Richchr
Explorer C

So what if your travel funds expire on June 4, 2020? I canceled my reservations because of the COVID-19 pandemic. When I check my confirmation number, it shows the whole ticket expires on June 4 2020. I used my old credit to pay for part of the trip. I had to pay the remaining balance on my debit credit card and now they are telling my it doesn’t matter when I paid for the remaining balance that I paid on my credit card in Feb 2019? This doesn't seem fair as it would not be a year from purchase.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Richchr wrote:

So what if your travel funds expire on June 4, 2020? I canceled my reservations because of the COVID-19 pandemic. When I check my confirmation number, it shows the whole ticket expires on June 4 2020. I used my old credit to pay for part of the trip. I had to pay the remaining balance on my debit credit card and now they are telling my it doesn’t matter when I paid for the remaining balance that I paid on my credit card in Feb 2019? This doesn't seem fair as it would not be a year from purchase.

Please read the updated policies, linked above.

If the funds are from flight(s) you canceled that were scheduled between March 1 and May 31, 2020, your funds now expire June 30, 2021.

• Any newly created travel fund because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021

Important note: the exception of extending travel credit was made now to assist our Customers during this challenging time. Again, we ask for patience while we make this change, which will take several weeks to see the new expiration date on these funds.

Donlee11
Explorer B

SWA's announcement that they are extending the time period for using travel funds is galling.  Its worse than if nothing was done at all.   People are hurting economically and Southwest is asking for billions in our tax dollars for a bailout but will not refund money for flights that it winds up cancelling anyway.     It is completely unacceptable.  SWA is now the airline that abuses customers.   

To be clear, SWA is cancelling many, if not most, flights.   According to flightaware.com over 1900 have been cancelled today alone.    Yet is insisting on keeping folks funds even though government action tells us not to fly.   

It is dispicable.