Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

GLOBAL PANDEMIC- ZERO EMPATHY

janines
Explorer C

Almost everyone else in the industry has either changed or modified their cancellation policies given this global pandemic, NOT Southwest.  They clearly do not care about their employees or their customers.  Given my condition, my Dr will NOT let me fly.  I have a note, they won't give me my money back, which okay I purchased non - refundable but because I purchased it the day the flight opened up, my credit is only good until October of this year.  It is not possible for me to even use it.  They said they can only extend a portion of that credit, not even the entire thing...WHAT?  So basically you took my $1500 for nothing.  NEVER again.  Many others are working with their customers and being flexible during this time.  NOT Southwest, they aren't even budging on their policy.  I guess I will wait for the Government to shut them down, they they may have to give me my money back. 

29 REPLIES 29

Re: GLOBAL PANDEMIC- ZERO EMPATHY

dfwskier
Aviator A

@janines wrote:

Almost everyone else in the industry has either changed or modified their cancellation policies given this global pandemic,

Why yes, they have.

They have dropped fees they charge passengers to change or cancel reservations,

so they are doing in an emergency what Southwest has done everyday for everyone.

In the meantime NO AIRLINE is issuing blanket refunds, and NO AIRLINE has modified the rules oft heir versions of SW's travel fund

Donlee11
Explorer B

Yet they want a bailout.  These are extraordinary times.  To insist on keeping folks money is arrogant. That other airlines might be doing it does not justify it.   The airline industry, and SWA, are just proving they are rancid anti-customer oligopolist.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As mentioned, no airline has done more than what Southwest does everyday so you're mad because they are friendly to customers everyday versus the other airlines who screw customers every other day then adjust to Southwest's policies in an emergency? As you implied, the situation is changing rapidly so stay tuned, it's possible that travel fund expirations may be extended. You also receive travel credit for the entire cost of the reservation you hand booked, your comment about partial credit is incorrect. Travel funds are divided among the passengers on the reservation though so you will not see 100% of the original reservation cost in your account if there were multiple passengers. 

--TheMiddleSeat

janines
Explorer C

The partial credit statement is NOT incorrect.  Currently my flight credit expires in October.  I told them I can't use the credit between now and October and they told me they can extend only a portion of that 6 months.  I was told this by a manager today. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That's a different situation. You have 100% of the credit in a travel fund until the fund expires one year after you originally purchased your flight. Sounds like you purchased your flight October 2019 so the travel fund expires in October 2020. What you are describing is the unwritten policy that allows you to convert an expired travel fund to a voucher after reducing the travel fund value by $100. You can do that within 6 months after the expiration and the voucher is good for 6 months.

Having said that, it would not be surprising if Southwest extended travel fund expiration dates so stayed tuned. It's a bit premature to get upset about it. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Tonton83
Explorer C

We have a group reservation for our family that was supposed to be cruising which got cancelled and we aren't even able to get a credit. Our families tickets were almost $3900 and no we did not get any special ticket fares for it being a group as I had looked at pricing online for my family of 5 and in the gorup we actually ended up paying like $2.00 more which I'm not worried about but it's been said before well you got special pricing. We only did it this way as I have older non tech savvy family traveling and found it easier to have myself handle our whole reservation so now we can not get literally anything. We have only requested to have it used for our future cruise we now will have to reschedule.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Tonton83 

At Southwest group travel is 10 or more passengers so it's not clear what special pricing you are referring to. I can't speak to cruise line cancelation policies, but any money you paid towards Southwest fares can be used within one year of your original purchase date. Just make sure you cancel your flights at least 10 minutes before departure time.

--TheMiddleSeat

Tonton83
Explorer C

I know what group travel is we have 14 people traveling and no the money paid to southwest can not be used for the future at all. It states it in the policy and we have spoke to group reservations who has also said there is no change in the policy. We literally have to fly on our scheduled flight or lose our money. I very well understand the contract that we did, however this situation I feel should be taken into consideration. As far as the special pricing that is part of the reason they state you can not change things because there are different factors that go in to the rate. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Tonton83  thanks for clarifying, your original message only mentioned a family of 5. Policies may change once Southwest is able to switch from triage mode back to somewhat normal operations so be patient.

--TheMiddleSeat