Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

GSP Reservations

kvanczd
Explorer C

So, we've been flying from SNA, ONT and/or LAX to GSP for the past 5-6 years now to visit our daugher and her family in Fletcher, NC.   Every time we book these flights, we get the message that SW does not operated flights to GSP from our departure airports.  Yet, we can go and book the flights separately to ATL and then ATL to GSP.  (Previously could do the same thing to HOU when you used to fly into GSP from there, but that's another story, as now EVERYTHING into GSP goes through ATL...)   

Anyway, we complained a few years ago to the SW offices; told the website was being redesigned and should resolve this issue.  Yet when it was released within the past year, still cannot book a flight reservation from SNA, ONT and/or LAX to GSP directly.  VERY FRUSTRATING that you make your customer book these flight separately and then have to remember to tell the clerk at checkin to link the flights, so that your luggage doesn't stay in ATL   (which has happened to us twice when we have forgotten to do so.)

Oh, and by the way, I'm flying from Newark to GSP later this week and guess what?   Yep, same message that you don't operate flights from there to GPS.  Again, had  book this trip as two separate flight reservations as well.

What do you have against GSP????  With a nice new terminal there, it would seem that you should want to facilitate bookings rather than make them more difficult....

Please dont tell me that's how the system is currently set up, as I've heard before.  Do you have frustrating it is to read a message that says you don't operate these flights or that you only do starting such and such a date or only on certain dates WHEN I KNOW THAT YOU OPERATE THEM EACH AND EVERY DAY???  How about someone look at your algorithims and actually correct the problem for your customers?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: GSP Reservations

dfwskier
Aviator A

Every Southwest flight does not connect with every other Southwest flight. The system will let you book valid connections, but not every other combination of flights.

For example, I live in Dallas, I COULD book a flight from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale to Chicago if it was a valid connection. It is not, so I can't book it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Among the allowed connections there also seems to be a limitation on layover duration. I'm not sure if GSP only has a few flights per day if that would be a factor or not.

That's too bad though if you can easily get to ATL and then have to book a separate reservation, maybe it would be re-instated from at least one of the LA area airports. I see some from LAX as I poke around, and some one-ways from BUR.

One suggestion is that you may be able to book one-way trips each way. The return flight from GSP may be allowed even if traveling from west coast to east coast requires you to make two reservations.

Personally I usually book one-way trips as standard practice for ease of making changes, etc. As @chgoflyer points out there is one downside to this during times of irregular operations where the outbound flight could be affected and cause difficulty with the return flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kvanczd
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  But from my perspective, this is not a multi-destination flight.  And if I can book it manually to get from SNA/ONT/LAX to GSP, then the system ought to be able to do the same.  It's not rocket science, SW....