Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Garment Bags

FutureDOc
Explorer C

I need to bring a suit in a garment bag with me on a flight. Can I count it as a carry-on? Is there a place to hang the garment bag or do I need to set it in the overhead? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Garment Bags

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

As long as it will fit within the carry on dimensions (10 x 16 x 24 inches) you can carry it on. Southwest's planes have no closets or anywhere to hang a garment bag, so it will have to go in the overhead. It's possible that you may be able to lay it flat on top of other bags. Good luck!

AngryPassenger
Explorer C

Not having any closets or a hanging bar is a bunch of bull crap, and all the responses are bull crap too. How are you supposed to put an entire suit or a dry cleaned dress into a freaking slammed full overhead bin without destroying it? It is not possible, those bins are tiny and the clothes will be smashed and totally messed up by the bags. Delta has closets, American had closets, come on southwest.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@AngryPassenger wrote:

Not having any closets or a hanging bar is a bunch of bull crap, and all the responses are bull crap too. How are you supposed to put an entire suit or a dry cleaned dress into a freaking slammed full overhead bin without destroying it? It is not possible, those bins are tiny and the clothes will be smashed and totally messed up by the bags. Delta has closets, American had closets, come on southwest.

Perhaps when traveling with a garment bag you'd be better off on one of those carriers, as Southwest -- again -- simply does not have closets in their planes (no bull).  😉

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@AngryPassenger wrote:

...How are you supposed to put an entire suit or a dry cleaned dress into a freaking slammed full overhead bin without destroying it? It is not possible, those bins are tiny and the clothes will be smashed and totally messed up by the bags. Delta has closets, American had closets, come on southwest.

I've seen it work with wedding dresses before, so I would say it is possible. Maybe not guaranteed though.

But seriously, wait to the end and find a bin that has some smaller carryons in it, definitely don't put your garment up there before the bin is full.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.