Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Get your act together SW!

dwyerhome
Explorer C

My daughter and her husband and three young children flew yesterday August 4th on the only direct flight from Cabo San Lucas to Denver.  The whole experience was a total Sh** Show.  At least the middle seats were open but now I understand they are going to loosen their cleaning standards. There was no enforced social distancing at the boarding gate.  Only two of her family had their temperature checked and she noticed many others were not checked.  When she boarded a young couple sat across from her and the gentlemen was coughing and clearing his throat and blowing his nose profusely.  Neither wore their masks.  One flight attendant asked them to put their mask on which they did.  Within minutes they took their masks off as the man continued to cough and blow his nose.  No flight attendants said anything and my daugher had enough and asked them to put their masks on!  Not sure they should have been allowed to board given his evident illness.  Come on SW, you're better than this!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Get your act together SW!

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear of the experience your family had yesterday. I would have your daughter Contact Customer Relations that way a report can be made and Southwest can follow up internationally. 

-Blake 

dwyerhome
Explorer C

We did contact Southwest.  Thank you for your recommendation.

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@dwyerhome wrote:

My daughter and her husband and three young children flew yesterday August 4th on the only direct flight from Cabo San Lucas to Denver.  The whole experience was a total Sh** Show.  At least the middle seats were open but now I understand they are going to loosen their cleaning standards. There was no enforced social distancing at the boarding gate.  Only two of her family had their temperature checked and she noticed many others were not checked.  When she boarded a young couple sat across from her and the gentlemen was coughing and clearing his throat and blowing his nose profusely.  Neither wore their masks.  One flight attendant asked them to put their mask on which they did.  Within minutes they took their masks off as the man continued to cough and blow his nose.  No flight attendants said anything and my daugher had enough and asked them to put their masks on!  Not sure they should have been allowed to board given his evident illness.  Come on SW, you're better than this!

Temperature checks?

I've never seen temperature checks during the boarding process.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ipsedixit wrote:

@dwyerhome wrote:

Temperature checks?

I've never seen temperature checks during the boarding process.

Mexico has implemented temperature-screening measures of both arriving, and in a more limited way departing passengers at some of its airports, including SJD. This is a function of airport security, not any specific airline.

Domestic carriers have repeatedly asked the federal government to implement passenger temperature screening, but, much like a mask mandate, the current administration refuses. Southwest does require passengers to declare that they have taken their temperature prior to travel and do not have a fever.

Given that the posting is a second-hand report, I'd take the information presented with a grain of salt.

dwyerhome
Explorer C

I'll be sure to have her post the exact same information as well, then you can have two grains of salt.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

🤣

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I can honestly say this would have been an issue with me as well.  Since I'm more outspoken it might have gotten loud on this flight and "air rage" would have been a possibility.   I'm assuming that all seats were taken and there was limited opportunity for a seat change.  

SWA (as far as I know) doesn't have control of what ground crews do in other countries.  So they may not have as much of a voice for temperature control for every passenger.  

It appears the flight attendant was pro-active in doing her duty, but it's the person who defied the rules that are at fault, not the attendant.   

Maybe a suggestion to SWA that they start to enforce the mask rule a little more by banning those who defy requests. 

So dyerhome, what resolution are you seeking and what would you have done? 

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Isn't it against the law to ignore the instructions and requests from the flight crew in the air?

Why not have these morons who won't wear a mask met by police when the plane lands?

dwyerhome
Explorer C

I would like the company to communicate our experience to the SW representatives in Cabo to and to the flight crew.