Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Getting back to US from Mexico with level 4 travel alert

jeff325ci
Explorer C

We have been in Mexico for the last two weeks and our return flight is scheduled for Sat the 21st. A level 4 travel advisory has been issued today and I have not received any notification of our flight being cancelled. How do I verify that we are still able to fly back in on our flight for saturday

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Getting back to US from Mexico with level 4 travel alert

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The travel advisory is not a ban, flights are proceeding for the time being. When flights are being discontinued such as they are in Costa Rica, it is announced several days ahead of time. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jeff325ci wrote:

We have been in Mexico for the last two weeks and our return flight is scheduled for Sat the 21st. A level 4 travel advisory has been issued today and I have not received any notification of our flight being cancelled. How do I verify that we are still able to fly back in on our flight for saturday

Check your flight status on the Southwest website frequently. If your flight is cancelled you should receive notification via the method you chose when booking. Right now you are able to change your flight to any other, same destination (with some restrictions) but my advice would be to not change anything unless your flight is actually cancelled. Good luck!

SWDigits
Aviator A

Here is some of the wording from the advisory, they are advising return home, which it sounds like you are doing:

"In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period."

Source:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-...

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jeff325ci for awareness I just saw that Southwest is halting international flights by the end of this weekend use these links for detail about specific destinations, here and here.

Customer | Home airport DCA