Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gift Card Challenges

poweredbyjae
Explorer C

Not sure if this is a general advisory to other forum members or a complaint (probably both) but recently I had a extremely negative experience with a purchase of a SouthWest.com gift card.  I'd recommend give cash or buy a store bought gift card cause SouthWest's experience is lacking to be kind.

On 1/2/2017 - I purchased a $xxx.xx gift card on their website.  Site indicates gift cards should be received within 12 hours. 

1/3/2017 - I didn't receive the card within 12 hours, so I called the 855-234-4654 (option 4) customer relations number who stated they were having issues getting them out because of the new year so it would be resolved within 2 business days.

1/5/2017 - Nothing. I placed a second call, where another rep stated they needed another 2 days and to call back on 1/7/2017 if I did not receive a resolution.

1/7/2017 - Nothing.  I placed a third call where I was told now to wait until 1/10/2017 for a resolution.  If none is to receive to comically call back a fourth time. 

1/7/2017 - I receive a forwarded e-mail of the gift card I purchased on 10/16/2016, completely unrelated to the card I purchased on 1/2/2017.  Unbelieveable.

For what its worth, I am / was a Southwest advocate with their respective credit card(s) and did place majority of my personal travel until I decided last year to divert it to Alaska due to general service challenges.  Come on guys, please help a customer out.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Gift Card Challenges

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @poweredbyjae,

We want to help you get this resolved. The Southwest Community is not an official complaint resolution platform, but if you'll send me your information (Name, contact phone number, RR#, summary of issue), I'll connect you with someone who can help find out what happened to the Gift Card and make sure you receive the product you purchased. 

Thanks for coming by the Community!

Bcherry07
Explorer C

Can you let us know how/if your gift card issue was resolved?

im going through he exact same issue, they resent 3 times in the last 25 days and I still haven't receive the $100 gift card that I paid for.  Worst experience I've had with a company before.  They seem unwilling to do anything more than just resending it.    If this isn't highway robbery I don't know what is.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Bcherry07 wrote:

Can you let us know how/if your gift card issue was resolved?

im going through he exact same issue, they resent 3 times in the last 25 days and I still haven't receive the $100 gift card that I paid for.  Worst experience I've had with a company before.  They seem unwilling to do anything more than just resending it.    If this isn't highway robbery I don't know what is.

Unfortunately, Southwest's gift card implementation is abysmal on many levels (there are quite a few issues / restrictions when trying to use the cards as well).

At this point, you might want to consider contacting your credit card issuing bank and disputing the charge as merchandise you never received. Good luck.

gabriella11
Explorer C

Hi. I realize that this post was from some time ago, but I am also now facing a similar issue. I placed an order for a gift card to be delivered almost two weeks ago and still have not received it. Is there anyone who can help me with this? 

Thank you,

Gabriella

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gabriella11 wrote:

Hi. I realize that this post was from some time ago, but I am also now facing a similar issue. I placed an order for a gift card to be delivered almost two weeks ago and still have not received it. Is there anyone who can help me with this? 

Thank you,

Gabriella

You'll need to contact Southwest Airlines at 1-800-IFLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).

flossboss
Explorer C

My daughter bought me a gift card.  When I asked her about using it, she told me that I should have been sent an email. After searching through my email, I see that I never got one. I've been a Rapid Rewards member since 1999 so I get SWA emails all the time.  She emailed me her receipt but calling Southwest only results in a 40 minute wait and who has time for that?  I searched gift cards and have discovered that this seems to be a BIG problem. No way would I ever buy a gift card for anyone as my daughter has decided that this is now MY problem to get a replacement gift card. 

I am awaiting a call that I made to the regular SWA phone number that gives one the option for a call back instead of waiting on the line, but it is the one for buying tickets so I doubt that will help.  I need an email address to forward the receipt on to so that I can get a replacement gift card. Anyone have one for customer service?  The only way to contact them presently is a form that pops up that you HAVE to place a flight number???  and of course you cannot attach one of your own emailed receipts to it.  It should NOT be this hard to get a replacement gift card.  

flossboss
Explorer C

UPDATE: I did get a call back from the 1-800-435-9792 number within 15 minutes YAY!

A very nice lady did some research and found out that the gift card was emailed to my daughter, not me.  It is being emailed again to my daughter's email address so we shall see.  So far she has not received it but it probably needs more time.  I will return with an update.  Do not bother with the 855-234-4654 number as the wait time is waaaay too long with no call back option. Don't bother with the online email option as it doesn't pertain to gift cards.