Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gift Cards: Transferring Balance from One to Another

francesj915
Explorer C

Hi! Is there a way to transfer the balance of one gift card to another? I have purchased a few as a way to save up for a future vacation and would like to consolidate the balances if possible. Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Gift Cards: Transferring Balance from One to Another

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@francesj915 wrote:

Hi! Is there a way to transfer the balance of one gift card to another? I have purchased a few as a way to save up for a future vacation and would like to consolidate the balances if possible. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, that's not a function currently offered by the Southwest gift card. 😞

Since you are limited to 3 total forms of payment when booking a Southwest flight, using multiple gift cards can be problematic. (In general, I don't recommend using gift cards because of this reason.)

There's a somewhat complicated work-around that might help. It involves booking "dummy" flights, using as many gift cards as you can, then cancelling and using those Travel Funds along with more gift cards to book another dummy flight, until you've used up all the gift cards. But there are potential risks involved: Travel funds are limited in use to the original named passenger, so this works if there's only one flyer involved. And travel funds have an expiration date, while gift cards do not.

You may be able to use up your gift cards by booking one-way flights, and separate ones for each traveler if there are multiple people involved. This makes it a bit more cumbersome to check-in, but might be worth it if it allows you to use up all your gift cards.

Hope this helps!