Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Gift Cards

Mitch_LaMoure
Explorer C

I am very disappointed in SW policy on group flights / gift cards.

I booked $7,000 worth of flight tickets for a group flight of students to D.C. in September of 2019 for a trip to D.C. in the spring of 2020.  Needless to say, it was canceled (Covid).   

SW gave me a gift card for the $7,000

Trying to re-book the trip for spring of 2021.  I need to make the planning NOW.  No flights are set for April 12th yet.  Won't be till December.  I need to make the itinerary NOW for the 55 students.   Can't use the gift card because there are no flights yet.    Wont redeem the gift card for cash, so I cannot book a different airline for these students.  

There is usually flights NOW to book for April, but this is an unusual year so won't be till December. 

If these students have to lose the $7,000 for their flight, I will have a hard time utilizing SW again.  I would gladly use SW for the flight, but they are not offering flights for April.

I cannot "re-sell" the gift card either I was informed from customer service.

What can I do?   

Mitch

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Gift Cards

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

What can you do?  Wait.  It's unfortunate, but the schedule is the way it is.

You didn't say where you were originating, but based on flight options you saw in the past and more importantly what you see now, it should be safe to say there will be flight options similar to the current.  If that means daily service from your departure city then it should be safe to say you will be able to fly on the day of your choice.  No, you won't know exact times, but you could at least start talking about days.  If you have limited departures from your city then coming up with potential dates is a bit trickier.  That's the best you can do until the schedule is released.

--TheMiddleSeat

Mitch_LaMoure
Explorer C

I understand - but:

Getting 55 students + 5 chaperones on one flight does not work sometimes as we need split planes.

Also I need to arrange other items such as pickup at airport, drop offs, etc... that depends on air flights.  Waiting till December does not work well with working with other entities such an example as contracting with a bussing compnay.  

I don't like waiting so long as also your on the mercy of pricing.   We need to know the price of flights when this occurs.  Budgeting a student group where the group raises the money is difficult.  A difference of $100  a ticket equates to $6,000 increase for us.

I am not sure of SW policy on getting flights, but I can get flights from other companies for a April flight now.  Waiting till December is a major obstacle for us. 

Flying from MSP to either BWI or DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

And I understand your predicament.  If you want to use the gift card you have then you will need to wait until the schedule is released.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

One thing to keep in mind is that the December date is subject to change it could be moved up or moved later. All 3 airports have daily flights so you shouldn’t have an issue getting flights the day the Schedule is released. 

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

As others have said, if you book the flight close to the date that the schedule drops, you should have no problem getting tickets for all 60 people. Why? Because on the date the schedule drops every flight will have exactly ZERO sold seats.

BTW, why did you get a gift card? I've never heard of Southwest handing those out?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

BTW, why did you get a gift card? I've never heard of Southwest handing those out?

Group travel refunds due to Covid-19 were done via gift cards.

--TheMiddleSeat

geoflol
Explorer C

I have a family reunion coming up. if you gifted me the card. I could gift you some money!