Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Golf Clubs

Mrauber6847
Explorer C

Does it cost extra to check my golf clubs? And how would I go about checking them in for my flight?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Golf Clubs

Trevorstew20
Explorer C

There is no extra cost to checked bags unless you check more than 2 or they are over 50 lb. this includes golf bags. 

ErichL
Explorer B
Solution

You're allowed to check one set of a gold clubs, under 50lbs, per passenger for free! If it's over 50lbs, some extra charges may be added

vhoormann
Explorer C

My question is do the dimensions requirements apply to golf clubs or just weight?

franktravel
Aviator B

It say both. 

zjohnw
Explorer C

I was just charged $125 for golf clubs in a hard case. The counter person measured height + width + length. ~78"

I have been traveling with same case since the 80's and have never been charged. Always keep it under 50lbs. I'll start driving if this is case

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Unfortunately, your charge was accurate.  Your case must meet the dimension test of 62 inches or less.  Your hard case totaled 78 inches, resulting in an excessive size charge.  The fact that you have never been charged for the past 30+ years is irrelevant...you may have been lucky or the policy changed.  On any airline, always check before you fly.

From SWA's website:

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free checked baggage allowance for you at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

78 inches = 6 feet 5inches never seen a golf transport bag/case this size?